transmission swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Tacoma, Washington
yes i realize but with the right gearing they can make things very interesting. and if i used it my car would become track only.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
A Powerglide only works well with a light car and plenty of horsepower; ie. 2500lbs and 700hp.

bananaMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Tacoma, Washington
alright after the explosive death of my recent 200r4 the choices in my possesion are a T350,T400, or a 700r4 with a steel gear kit. i am getting very tired of swapping trannies. I just need one that can take daily beating of around 300hp and 75shot without blowing internals. I am to the point where I will do anything including cut the driveshaft just to get it right. I have access to a race prepped powerglide out of 68 camaro but dont want to go that route just yet. I just need the strongest combo for the money.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
my buddy has a small moving van we load up more than we should and it has a 4l60e. Those guys that make the double hump crossmembers for dual exhaust make a G body one that allows for the 4l60e to fit in. Plus you can run true duals. not sure if you have to modify the driveshaft.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
bananaMC said:
alright after the explosive death of my recent 200r4 the choices in my possesion are a T350,T400, or a 700r4 with a steel gear kit. i am getting very tired of swapping trannies. I just need one that can take daily beating of around 300hp and 75shot without blowing internals. I am to the point where I will do anything including cut the driveshaft just to get it right. I have access to a race prepped powerglide out of 68 camaro but dont want to go that route just yet. I just need the strongest combo for the money.
If you want something bulletproof go with a TH-400. You'll have to move the crossmember and cut the driveshaft, I also believe that it has a different output spindle so you'll need to have the yoke modified. I know a good shop Tacoma Driveline. A TH-400 will rob a little bit of power and weigh in a lot heavier but it can take anything your small block can throw at it. They are fairly inexpensive to build up, about the same as a TH-350. I'd deff. stay away from a Powerglide! Those even built up with some serious $ can not handle anything over 3000Lbs. You'll blow it apart for sure.

RegalX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Mankato, MN
a 700R4 isnt really any stonger than a 200R4, plus the 700R4's first gear is a 3.06 ratio!. I'd stick with a 200R4 or a TH350, they should both take 300hp easy if they are rebuilt decent

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
RegalX said:
a 700R4 isnt really any stonger than a 200R4, plus the 700R4's first gear is a 3.06 ratio!. I'd stick with a 200R4 or a TH350, they should both take 300hp easy if they are rebuilt decent
I've heard that 700's are great off road, in K5's and 1/2 ton trucks. That low 1st gear really comes in handy. But as far as street use I'd deff. stick with a 200-4R If I was going to go for a 4spd. I'd like to get one and rebuild it, I think my next transmission will be a 200

RegalX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2006
Mankato, MN
Chevyman85 said:
RegalX said:
I've heard that 700's are great off road, in K5's and 1/2 ton trucks. That low 1st gear really comes in handy. But as far as street use I'd deff. stick with a 200-4R If I was going to go for a 4spd. I'd like to get one and rebuild it, I think my next transmission will be a 200

werd... that 3.06 is just too low. I have a TH-350 in my car right now and bought a 700R4 to rebuild and put in the car, but after reading more about them I am going to stick with the TH-350 until I can find a 200R4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor