Transmission won't engage after engine swap!!! WTF???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huicho707

n00b
Apr 17, 2014
I recently installed a rebuilt engine in my 83 regal and got it timed and ready to drive now it won't engage :wtf: it shifts but won't engage please help

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
By shifts, you mean the shifter runs the transmission through the ranges from Park to low gear?

First thing to check: converter to flexplate bolts. Did they get put back in? You'd be surprised how may times they get missed. If those are in place, you need to verify that the transmission is pumping fluid, assuming it has fluid. :mrgreen:

The easiest way to do this is check the fluid level with the engine off. It should read considerably overfull. With the engine idling, check it again. If the level has dropped into the operating range indicated on the stick, that's good. If the level hasn't moved at all, the transmission is not pumping which would most likely indicate a broken pump gear/rotor.

Huicho707

n00b
Apr 17, 2014
Originally I put the engine and trans in (trans was dry, no fluid in torque converter,) on accident did some searching cause I didn't want to pull trans out, ending up pulling trans to fill and still no engagement will check the trans fluid level in a sec

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What model trans are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor