Transplant: 2002 Bonneville seats into 1983 Bonneville wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt455

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
SE Michigan
I found a set of blue cloth buckets in a 2002 Bonneville at the local JY on Monday.

I finally got time to test-fit them today.
To make them fit I had to elongate the mounting holes in the adjuster pedestals. I am also using only 4 of the 6 mounting studs on the driver's seat. The '02 passenger seat uses 4 mounting studs - elongating the holes about 1/8" allowed the seat to fit onto the existing stud locations. I'll also need to make a jumper to connect the power seat harness; the connectors had changed between 1983 and 2002.

The driver's seat is a little too far outboard; it is rubbing against the "B" pillar trim. BUT, I'm gonna use them.

The cloth is so close to matching the original material that you have to look very closely to see the difference.

I was concerned that the smoother, more "organic" style of the newer Bonneville seat would look bad in the car, but I like the way these look and feel.

Took it for a short test drive and I didn't notice any issues with alignment or centering relative to the steering wheel and pedals. I would like the driver's seat to go back a little further; that will probably be a winter project.

New driver's seat next to original passenger seat:
6010301722_c5356ca6ce_b.jpg

Both seats in position:
6009752583_82e7a0621f_b.jpg

View from driver's side rear door:
6010303800_fdd970caa2_b.jpg

And I still have room for a console!
6010304254_5d8eb4ef2c_b.jpg

I still need to install all the seat adjuster covers, the seat belt anchor covers and finish the jumper for the power seat feed.

And I need to repair a small burn in the driver's seat cover, but that's a lot cheaper than all new trim covers!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: Transplant: 2002 Bonneville seats into 1983 Bonneville w

Nice comfy looking seats. Colorwise, they look great...close match. Great score.. Good choice.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: Transplant: 2002 Bonneville seats into 1983 Bonneville w

Very nice! I use the same type bases in my car, and they have a motor for each function so the result is smooooth adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor