Transporting Compressor Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got a 60 gallon 6.5 hp compressor today for $300. They are clearing out their storage, he use to own a repair shop but he can't operate one at the location of his used car lot and he's tired of paying storage. I figure I have 3 options to transport it but what do you guys think....I don't have to transport it that far, it's about a 45 minute drive.

1. Transport it standing up......they are top heavy so I'd rather not
2. Drain the oil and lay it down....worried about if any sludge in the tank will make it's way to the top of the tank and the valves
3. Remove the motor and cylinders and transport the tank upright.

:)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd keep it upright regardless. Good rated straps crossing the top of the tank will hold. For the top, as long as it comes off with the pump staying intact go for it then service everything since it has been sitting. At the old job we used to haul bigger ones in the back od the companys S10 straped & centered.

• Agree
  • Happy
Reactions: 3 users

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
Do you have any way of getting it onto a pallet? If not, maybe rent a uhaul or something to transport upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
Even better. I’d move it standing up. Don’t cheap out on the ratchet straps and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Then again one of my clients is a towing company, I was doing their accounts today and I've got 35 of 35 charges tossed out and another 6 to go so maybe it's time they did me a favor....:)

• Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Drain the oil, lay it down. Worked fine for me. Needs an oil change anyway after that long sitting.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The electrical for the trailer hitch on my Jeep has issues that I am not going to fix so I got my son and his wife's F150, drained the oil and laid it down. Thanks for all the suggestions....:)

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor