Trick to Remove Speedo Cable from transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I planned to lube the cable but can't unscrew it from the transmission. What's the trick to disco? Did someone use some sort of sealer/glue to prevent leaks? I also have the same problem with the mid cable joint - can't loosen that one either.(even after heating it)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Just remember lefty loosey, righty tighty

images

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have only used channellocks or regular pliers with a light grip to remove those, I can't imagine anyone would use any kind of Loctite on that part and if there is a sealer it should still break loose so my guess would be the parts are corroded together so I would try to spray some WD-40 or Break Away etc into the threaded area and see if it loosens up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I agree with 565, it could very likely be corroded. I too have used a larger pair of pliers or channel locks to loosen the fitting. A light touch is needed as it doesn't seem to take much to deform the fitting on the cable.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
The few exposed threads clean clean and sharp and I did try Liquid Wrench.(remember, this chassis has not seen bad weather and is super clean and well oiled) The last time I dealt with cables like this was about 30 years ago on my S10 Blazer V8-700r4 swap and I recall it being fairly easy.
Today I tried vice grips but the knurled surface is slipping. Kinda tough with the trans support so near.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor