Trip down memory lane. Sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's very amazing that for whatever reason, I cannot find "back in the day" photos of Olds dealerships where both my G-bod 442s were first purchased. I'm sure I could dig like hell, but it's still odd there isn't something out there in public. Maybe there is.

Anyway, my 85 442 was sold new (to me) at James Oldsmobile in N. Charleston, SC. This is a Google shot of the property. I can't seem to find anything showing the old dealership. They put the car in the showroom when it got there. The arches used to have windows in them for the showroom. My car sat at the nearest corner. The driveway out onto Dorchester is where I took my car off the lot and made a right. Did a little romp on the throttle on the way out. The office I signed the papers to take the car home was where that little slit window is all the way over to the left above the van parked nearby there.

4115 Dorchester Rd James Oldsmobile.jpg

My 87 442 was sold new in Elyria, OH at Steven Olds-Cadillac. I found the property, but still, it would be nice to see a couple pics from its heyday. Ironically, the property is for sale for only 799,900. What a steal. :)

If you wanna buy it: https://www.howardhanna.com/Property/Detail/750-Cleveland-St-Elyria-OH-44035/NorthernOH/4066756

f_4066756_30.jpg

f_4066756_02.jpg

I could just imagine the car sitting here in the showroom 32 years ago next month. It was built in April but I don't know when it arrived. It wasn't purchased until the first part of June, 87. Wonder which office the paperwork was signed??
4066756-6.jpg

c8e8c4530e6c4db449bf232efb042d7d.jpg

4066756-7.jpg

4066756-8.jpg

Yeah, I know. Cool story bro. :) I wish I was more of a photo bug back in those days. Never was, and still not as much as I should be.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My '81 Monte was sold new at Nick Corsello Chevrolet, now Classic Chevrolet, in Bellevue, Pa. If I remember right it was built at the end of the '81 production year (think June '81) & was a lot car. We picked up the car at a "buy here/pay here" lot on Babcock Blvd near the Shop N Save) just outside of Pittsburgh in Aug '90. ( I actually took the car to Classic for work that I couldn't do when we first got it. I reallywant to run the car back down there for pictures when ever I get it done.
1551811663243.png

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Jesus H. Christ. It took me a while, but I also got pictures of the other old dealerships where cars I had were sold new.

Oh, and the James Oldsmobile location I posted in the first post...I just remembered. That little sign out front is EXACTLY where they had the big *ss towering JAMES OLDSMOBILE sign out front. You can see where the concrete risers are for the original sign that are holding up their new sign.

Bought the then-new 86 Black Monte SS at Portsmouth Chevrolet in Newington, NH. To be honest, I can't recall if it had another name back then. It's now a used car lot. I recall it was just about right across from the Fox Run Mall. It's still owned by the original group but they moved the new car dealership closer to the interstate.

Old Chevy Dealer Newington NH Woodbury.jpg

It was troublesome trying to find pictures of the old Jim Hudson Olds where we bought the then-new gray 87 442 (the one lost in the divorce). It was on Sumter highway as I recall back then, but they call it something else now, so I kept searching for it and found it by using google maps and "driving" where I kind of remembered it sort of being and then found the road name change to Garners Ferry. I did manage to find a pic when they were just a Cadillac/Saab dealership and closing up and moving to their new store. Now it's just Jim Hudson Lexus now where they moved to, and he also has Jim Hudson Auto group and they sell all sorts of crap from different makes including GM and non-GM. They tore this place down and in its place now it's Dick Smith Ford. Gak! Still haven't been able to place the old Royal Oldsmobile in Sarasota, FL where my old gray 85 442 was sold new.

Old Olds Dealer 87 Gray 442 Columbia SC.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
hittle.jpg

Well, since I bought my 86 GP from the original owners, I have the build sheet and even the window sticker.. So I know its from Hittle Pontiac-Cadillac in Greenville, OH and bought in December of 1985.

Used to be Pontiac/Cadillac... now its GMC/Buick... with a new building on the left. I assume the one on the right was the "original". :D

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor