Trouble installing UMI triangular brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
I've been having some trouble installing the brace in the cross member side, right where the two points meet. Those holes in my frame are not threaded and the bolts will not tighten or go in. Is any one else having similar problems? Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Did the brace come with hardware?

I don't have the brace, so I'm not much help. I can't recall if you can access the inside of that point or not.

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah the bar did come with hardware. On my car in this case 86 Regal, the holes can not be accessed from the inside. Its a very stout piece other than the trouble bolting it in.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
I've been having some trouble installing the brace in the cross member side, right where the two points meet. Those holes in my frame are not threaded and the bolts will not tighten or go in. Is any one else having similar problems? Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Good afternoon. Thanks for the purchase. Can you send pics of the offending area to [email protected]? We have had zero issues with this part. Happy to help figure it out.

-- Ramey

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
The holes on the crossmember under the oilpan are not threaded from the factory unless the car came with factory jounce bars. The holes will need to be tapped or use self threading bolts.
i bought the sc&c triangulated brace and mine came with the tap to thread the holes to match the included bolts. Cleaner design also. Tucks up closer to the chassis and less bends in the tubing

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

njRegal86

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
New Jersey
All is well, as 81msw79 said the holes near the cross member need to be tapped if your car did not come with the GP jounce bars. My car, 86 Regal did not come with the jounce bars from factory so the holes had to be tapped. Thanks for all your help. Bar is installed, fitment is great, should really make a big difference. Will update after my test drive.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
IMO only a notation should be on the instructions about possibly having to tap the holes. The reason being is that some who want to keep their car original would want to tap it a metric thread and use metric bolts. Others would rather not buy the expensive metric bolts and go with an SAE tap and bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor