Truck Accessories - Holley 22-101 Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Hello Guys,

You guys have been so helpful with all my questions - still waiting someone to swat me for being a PITA.

I've been weighing my options with using the truck water-pump with the goofy up-and-over hose barb, or using the F-body water pump with spacers and minor changes to the idler and tensioner with a kit or this Holley 22-101 water pump which will apparently work with my existing LM7 accessory drive where the alternator is up high on the driver side on a heavy cast bracket it shares with the power steering pump. I've found a few comments on car parts vendor's websites that the Holley water pump has a porous casting - two individuals said the water pump leaks THROUGH THE CASTING.

Has anybody used this water pump successfully with a truck engine (4.8/5.3L)? https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/water_pumps/parts/22-101

Cheapest option is to go with the original truck water-pump and find a long-arse hose to the radiator. Second cheapest option appears to be the Holley water-pump. Least attractive option is 3/4-inch spacers, f-body water pump with f-body tensioner and idler pully relocation (LSX innovations parts WP11, IR10).

Seems the $215 cost of the Holley water-pump is cheaper than buying a new f-body water pump and all the junk. Plus, the spacers give more places for a leak!

Additionally, has anybody reduced the pressure of their power steering pump with Borgeson Universal 899001? I bought a brand new g-body power steering pressure hose because I heard it will screw into the LM7 power steering pump; I haven't verified that yet. My coworker (drag racer) says the power steering pressure on the LS is just fine for the g-body steering box; another guy dropped the pressure with the kit I mentioned, but that may have been for an older car (not a g-body).

Best Regards,
Michael

Lilmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2017
Mass
Or use the truck water pump with a passenger side inlet and outlet radiator. That's my plan

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What's the desire to use that pump? Simply the drivers side outlet?

It depends what direction you want to go with the radiator too. Dual pass? Factory?

I agree that having the hose go across the radiator isn't visually pleasing.

Im skeptical that holley pump fits with the pickup alt/PS bracket.

IMG_20210315_220703.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
What's the desire to use that pump? Simply the drivers side outlet?

It depends what direction you want to go with the radiator too. Dual pass? Factory?

I agree that having the hose go across the radiator isn't visually pleasing.

Im skeptical that holley pump fits with the pickup alt/PS bracket.

View attachment 172909

I just checked the fit between 22-101 water pump and the alternator bracket and it doesn't fit. The idler is in interfering with the forward facing inlet. Damn. Now I have a $225 water pump I can't use. SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor