Trunk coating in 84 SS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Does anyone know for sure what the trunk coating is that's on my 84SS? It's possibly a type of rubberized undercoating but not sure. Thicker than paint and has a slight texture to it. Trying to remove it. Thanks in advance

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it is not a rubberized undercoating then It might be textured bed liner spray , I used that under my hood and decklid on my Regal

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
All the trunks I've seen has been painted with a semi/low gloss black. Possible a spray on sound deadener that a P.O. had sprayed in.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I had an almost tar like coating on half my trunk. I used a heat gun and 5 way knife to scrape it off. The wire wheels and strip disc just move it around smearing and slinging tiny bits everywhere, which you then have to clean off. It also had rattle can bedliner(its almost like a spray on plastic) for which I used a combo of wire wheels and the 3m clean n strip wheel or the generic version at walmart(works good just burns up faster then 3m).

Regardless theres no easy way out. It sucks to remove but using the right process for the material helps alot.

Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
My 80s cars have a black epoxy like coating in the trunk my 70s cars had a speckled grayish coating, I painted it black cause it looked better. They sell a trunk paint kit I'll look it up and see what it is

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That trunk paint is pretty sturdy for what it is if it's OEM.

If redoing it to stock specs, Zolatone makes a suitable replacement for stock black semi-textured coating. It's thicker than regular paint, but still retains a slight spatter pattern/texture to it. Not cheap at 58 per quart. Doesn't come in spray cans. Of course, if you want to do it a slightly different way, you could cheat and use say, the Delco brand spatter paint (has pretty good reviews) for older trunks as it has aqua and/or black gray speckles in it. Then just paint over that with a semi-gloss black or something.

Here's the zolatone:

Of course, there's always the truck bed coating stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor