Trunk lid torque rods

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Haynes tells me the two rods behind the rear seat are to tension the trunk lid latches and you can adjust by prying from one notch to the next. Anybody know if the bottom setting is lightest effort or heaviest effort? I don’t want to mess with it if I’m already in the best setting.

Also, anyone just take them out? They kinda rattle and hit my aftermarket speakers. I should say I have a hurst spoiler on the back so the trunk lid is very heavy

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Take them out and your trunklid won't stay up at all by itself. The higher you go on the slots, the more tension (torsion) you put on the rods. Lowest is weakest, top it strongest. They don't always have to match slots on either side, but most of the time they do.

Supposedly, the H/O got bigger rods back there to make up for the added weight of the spoiler. I've never measured them for comparison, but that might be something to measure one day if I'm piddling around in the shop.

Reactions: 2 users

MadDrOlds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Take them out and your trunklid won't stay up at all by itself. The higher you go on the slots, the more tension (torsion) you put on the rods. Lowest is weakest, top it strongest. They don't always have to match slots on either side, but most of the time they do.

Supposedly, the H/O got bigger rods back there to make up for the added weight of the spoiler. I've never measured them for comparison, but that might be something to measure one day if I'm piddling around in the shop.
Thanks. I have an 85 442, but it came to me with the Hurst bits from an 84 (hood scoop, spoiler, front grills, lightning rods). It would be interesting to know if the hursts had bigger ones because that deck is way heavy. Somebody should make a carbon fiber replacement

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 85 442 has the same trunk rods as every other Cutlass Supreme/Salon. Just so happens I have the 85 442 and the 84 H/O butt to butt in the shop so popping the trunk and doing a measurement on each shouldn't be too tough to do.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OK, I'm back!

hahaha

I went to the shop for something else today and remembered I hadn't took trunk lid rod measurements. Well, I'll be durned, the H/O has fatter trunk rods than the regular trunk lids. Not by much, but it doesn't have to be. I measured both the 85 and 87 442 and got about the same measurements.

85 87 thickness breaking in at .324".
85 87 Cutlass trunk rod thickness.jpg

84 H/O trunklid rod thickness. There's the proof. A .357 magnum... :)
84 HO trunk rod thickness.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
OK, I'm back!

hahaha

I went to the shop for something else today and remembered I hadn't took trunk lid rod measurements. Well, I'll be durned, the H/O has fatter trunk rods than the regular trunk lids. Not by much, but it doesn't have to be. I measured both the 85 and 87 442 and got about the same measurements.

85 87 thickness breaking in at .324".
View attachment 222700

84 H/O trunklid rod thickness. There's the proof. A .357 magnum... :)
View attachment 222701
I wonder if that means the Monte SS and the Grand National got larger via their spoilers adding weight?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looks like it. Any color markings on your torsion rods? Looks like tan is with spoiler and green is without.

Chevy 12.187.png

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if that means the Monte SS and the Grand National got larger via their spoilers adding weight?
I don't think it would be necessary for either since I have a GN rear spoiler on my Regal and a 2" taller Monte SS rear spoiler on my Monte CL and they both hold fine. I think both of those were very lightweight from the factory.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor