Trunk lid torque rods

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't think it would be necessary for either since I have a GN rear spoiler on my Regal and a 2" taller Monte SS rear spoiler on my Monte CL and they both hold fine. I think both of those were very lightweight from the factory.
Maybe not necessary, but the H/O and Monte SS spoiler rods are the same p/n. So I would say yes. The engineers took that extra weight into consideration.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe not necessary, but the H/O and Monte SS spoiler rods are the same p/n. So I would say yes. The engineers took that extra weight into consideration.
I just measured both my Monte and Regal trunk bars with my digital caliper and they both have .340 bars and I verified that with a non digital caliper, so was there an in between bar?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I just measured both my Monte and Regal trunk bars with my digital caliper and they both have .340 bars and I verified that with a non digital caliper, so was there an in between bar?
There was a "blue" bar for Cutlass that may have been an in-between bar, according to parts information. I do not know if other G-bodies had this. I'm sure they did. As to how they picked and chose the bars, I couldn't tell you. I imagine the "tan" bars were apparently the thickest. I mean, the H/O spoiler won't give anyone a hernia picking it up, but it does have a little heft to it. My trunk pops up a bit when the latch releases, but doesn't fly open. But it seems more counterbalanced than springy so you can easily lift the lid. Not sure how it's supposed to be but I've never messed with the bar settings since I had the car.

Keep in mind, too, my measurements were very unscientific and I was using a Harbor Freight Special Chinesium caliper. I just reached up under the driver side and clamped it on one of the bars and called it a day just to see if there was a difference. It doesn't really matter much if it's a few thousands off, because the main theme seems to be that there was a slight bit of diameter changes depending on the situational requirements.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor