Trunk Lock Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
Climbing into the trunk is not an option. My trunk is full.

I put in a new trunk lock months ago, never had a problem.. Then one night I used my key, and "the face" of the lock fell off when I took my key out and closed the trunk lid.

I don't know why this happened... Why the cover piece fell off, but now my key DOES NOT WORK anymore.

I have tried to force turn it and it would not turn.

My trunk needs to be replaced, but I'm telling you it's not the trunk - it's the lock. The lock has failed and now I cannot get my trunk open.

Any tips or advice?? Has any of you been through this before??

Attachments

• 20200205_145402.jpg
    20200205_145402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Drill out the center of the lock. It's soft and will drill pretty easy. Just go slow and take your time.

Once through you can just use a long thin screwdriver to turn the latch.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
If your trunk is full and you are not able to gain access from inside the car, drilling the lock is a viable and easy solution. You mentioned it's a new lock and drilling it out is probably painful because it's new. To look at the cause of the issue, drilling out the lock is quick and easy way to get in.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Did you try grabbing the lock cylinder with channel locks or vise grips, turning it back to normal position and try to unlock then still holding the cylinder. The spring on the inside may have slipped off.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor