Trying to eliminate a little bit of play in steering, the adjustment on the steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I have done this on other cars but sorry my memory is getting rusty.........even in AZ.:doh::unsure::unsure::unsure:
There is a lock nut AND a set screw on the power steering box.

Does the LOCK NUT lock the adjusting screw?

Or does the adjusting screw LOCK the nut?

I'm having difficulty breaking either loose to add a minor turn to the set screw and go for a test drive to see if it helps.

But until I figure out do I try to loose the Set Screw first........or the Locknut first............I need to know which is first, the chicken or the egg
or the set screw or the lock nut?

Thank you
AZ

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have done this on other cars but sorry my memory is getting rusty.........even in AZ.:doh::unsure::unsure::unsure:
There is a lock nut AND a set screw on the power steering box.

Does the LOCK NUT lock the adjusting screw?

Or does the adjusting screw LOCK the nut?

I'm having difficulty breaking either loose to add a minor turn to the set screw and go for a test drive to see if it helps.

But until I figure out do I try to loose the Set Screw first........or the Locknut first............I need to know which is first, the chicken or the egg
or the set screw or the lock nut?

Thank you
AZ
If I recall correctly....you have to loosen the nut before being able to turn the adjusting screw. It's also been awhile for me as well. I believe you turn it in until it stops, then back it out a slight bit and lock the nut down.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
If I recall correctly....you have to loosen the nut before being able to turn the adjusting screw. It's also been awhile for me as well. I believe you turn it in until it stops, then back it out a slight bit and lock the nut down.

You and I agree on the right adjustment........I am having a very hard time budging that nut........lots of water under my bridge and it takes my memory along for the ride.........

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
The nut locks the screw, but be warned making that adjustment alone and or incorrectly will only make your steering box bind up just off center. That is the over center adjustment and normally only be performed after the thrust bearing preload has been done which requires the box to be removed from the car to be done correctly, which also requires the use of an inch pound torque wrench.

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
20190524_194932.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
20190524_194949.jpg
20190524_195009.jpg
20190524_194949.jpg
20190524_195009.jpg
20190524_195023.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
The nut locks the screw, but be warned making that adjustment alone and or incorrectly will only make your steering box bind up just off center. That is the over center adjustment and normally only be performed after the thrust bearing preload has been done which requires the box to be removed from the car to be done correctly, which also requires the use of an inch pound torque wrench.

Thank you for the warning. I am aware of that one......
I am aware of the over center adjustment as well.
Funny it just seems my mind could not recall if nut locks set screw or set screw locks nut.
Thanks for your contribution.
Im just looking for a tweak on the steering. Nothing too drastic......maybe just a bit of the play.
The car has 83K on it so hopefully it's not work out quite yet.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks to all for the additional tech photos and measurements. I realize the screw I am adjusting does not fix everything.

I start with the screw and if it needs to be adjusted too far, I stop and then try to find the problem, rather than trying to
make it work.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
If you want to hear the funny thing, I was having a bit of a hard time getting to that bolt on the steering box.
On my test drive I realized myy radiator MAY need to be replaced. THAT will give me plenty of room to work
on that steering box bolt.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I initially adjusted mine, I was aware that tightening it too much could in fact cause it to bind. I was mindful of that. The little bit that I adjusted, or tweaked did seem to help.

Spidereyes, thank you for posting the detailed pages regarding the adjustments. We can never be overly informed about any topic. That was very thoughtful of you.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor