Trying to find interior paint and trim color codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Hey folks I'm working on a 83 Malibu wagon. I had to do some rust repair on the roof so had to take out the headliner. This has really snowballed into a huge project. The roof rust repair is done, I'm going to redo the headliner while its out and since the metal trim around the headliner is also out and nasty with rust and other issues I blasted it thinking I'd get some paint mixed and respray the metal trim. I took the ID plate from the firewall and went to the local auto paint store for the paint. The guy said the ID tag didn't mean anything to him as far as paint color codes, and a pint of interior (vinyl) paint cost $80, even though I'm not painting vinyl. So any help with paint codes on the tag would be great. The factory interior is a medium to dark brown. I see some folks talking about SEM. What is this? Thanks in advance.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would use the SEM paint if you can find your color. SEM a brand. Google it and you will find it easy. We used Dupont vinyl paint on my brother's car because SEM didn't have his color. It was fine on hard surfaces but isn't great on flexible stuff. I think there is a 'sticky' thread in the interior section on here about using the SEM paint.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
SEM color coat is some badass stuff for interior parts!!! The main thing as with all paint processes is to follow the prep instructions. Clean the parts really good with dish soap....once clean wipe down with wax and grease remover until the rag is "clean" and no residue left behind. Get a good adhesion promoter such as bulldog or duplicolor brand, spray it, and clear it to ensure it doesn't chip! If done properly the parts will look good for a long time.
I'm prepping some stuff for color coat now, it's tedious but who said redoing old school iron is a walk in the park.
I believe 565bbchevy used color coat on some of his interior parts as well as other guys here. I'm sure they will chime in at some point man.

By the way, welcome aboard and post some pics of that wagon!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
This is the wagon. Snowballed into a lot of rust removal and welding in new metal. Found four good doors in a parts yard for 15 bucks each only to find out the rear doors on a wagon are different than those on a sedan. I converted the rear doors, all the doors are back on now. Doing a color change, two tone brown and cream with gold glass flakes. Right now I just want to get the interior put back together. Then finish the outside. Not to be a show car, just a clean driver.
wag4.jpg wag2.jpg malibu3.jpg wag2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Thanks for the info. The SEM seems like the way to go if I can find a supplier and figure out what color I need. Any idea about the body tag?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Post up what your body tag says and someone on here should be able to help you identify the correct color. Also post up a few pics of a few interior parts so we can get an idea of what color it was.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the info. The SEM seems like the way to go if I can find a supplier and figure out what color I need. Any idea about the body tag?
SEM can be purchased via summit racing or even ebay if you can't find it locally to you. Summit seems to have the better prices....that's usually my source for it. Go to the SEM website to see what colors they offer and locate a dealer. They also have instructional videos showing prep and paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor