Trying to get my powerlogger to read boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robjob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2017
Im trying to hook my map to my powerlogger to get the boost readings. I followed the instructions on vortexbuicks on how to hook up the map to the powerlogger but I have know reading on my powerlogger. Is there a way to test to see if the map is working correctly? Also I checked the ground to the map and I don’t believe the map is getting ground. What would cause this?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If you don't already have one, you need a 3bar map sensor from a TTA. The factory boost gage map sensor in a TR isn't a 3 bar.

I had a plugnplay 3 bar harness for my turbolink, so I didn't do any actual wiring. You may be able to get one of these harnesses from the turbobuick.com or turbobuicks.com classifieds.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Robjob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2017
I have heard that you may need a 3 bar to log boost with the powerlogger, but on the powerlogger menu it gives you the option to use a 2 bar or 3. Thanks for the link Motörhead it seems like they hinted towards the same idea of needing a 3 bar. If it si possible to use the 2 bar it sounds like i may need to rewire it from the tps so that the powerlogger can see it. As of right now I get 5v at the map green wire just no ground.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So ground the MAP to the same location as the ECM, probably the back of the PS cylinder head. And yes, get the 3 bar MAP for the sake of simplicity.

If you want really good direction straight from Steve Wood (who runs Vortex-Buicks), and can follow his instructions to the letter, join IHADAV8.com - it is where most of the intelligent non-egos reside these days.

Robjob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2017
Right on Motörhead, I did leave the same post on his website as well. I will go home and try to ground my map. I’m using the 2 bar right now because I only have my boost around 10lbs so that I can tune in a few new parts. I don’t plan on going past 14 psi right now until I get what I have now running flawlessly.

Robjob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2017
My combination is is as follows
Rebuilt 109 block with gn1 stock rebuild kit (je pistons, forged crank, etc...)
Main billet caps
208/208 izkey cam
Rjc plenum plate
Just added champion iron ported heads and intake. Now I’m still using the stock turbo and injectors so that’s why the boost is low. Getting a little knock when I start to get close to 8-10lbs, so I want to hook up my boost to my powerlogger so that I can see where the boost is relative to the fuel. I have 80lb injectors ready to go but I want to get the knock out and have the car running flawlessly before I add them and turn the boost up.

Robjob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2017
Well Eric turned the chip up to the max that is another reason why I have the boost at 10 lbs right now because any higher i believe I will need to add the bigger injectors. Right now however the int and blms are between 122-135, the afr is good in idle cruise and at wot, but I still get a knock at 8-10lbs. I will start another thread about that. But to be on the safe side I want to check everything out and log it with my powerlogger so I have to get the boost able to be read by the pl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor