trying to ship dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Found a parts car on CL in NC. and contacted gentlemen about dash. He sent me pics. Told me $100 plus shipping. I said ok as my dash looks like it's been chewed up and spit back out. He took dash out and we agreed to terms. Ups told him $198 to ship. Dang! So I called post office. They say $37. Now he is having hard time packaging it and says I can come get it. That he will be at charlotte auto fair this weekend. I have disabled son and he doesn't travel well. Sure hope he can get it shipped to me. Seems like a nice guy. What do you folks think? 20170402_140427-1.jpg

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
$37 seems low. I think most shipping stores can make boxes. Good luck, hopefully the guy can get it shipped to you.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Yea I thought 37 was low but gave my local post office length width height and weight...also called 1-800 number to post office they said the same. The guy went to his post office and they told him about the same. Told guy I would add a little extra to payment for packaging. I sure hope he can.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've heard horror stories of dashes being destroyed in transit either from poor packaging or mishandling. I've run across pulled and sold locally about 6 or 7 crack free Chevy dashes. Too big for Postal out of Canada and I checked years ago on having one packed and shipped through Pack and Ship here. I'm sure they told me it was about $250 to pack and ship one.

If he does ship hopefully it gets packed very well...hate to see you spend that money and have it trashed when it arrives.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Chances are he went to "the UPS Store" and they priced packaging and shipping. Also, it'll be double oversize and possibly subject to dim weight (where price is based on size of package and not on weight).

Been a long time since I shipped anything large for this very reason, freight costs have really escalated in the last 10 years or so.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just looked at pic, why would you buy that? Looks like a typical Malibu / Camino / Monte "cracked 6 ways to Sunday" dash.

IMO, put that $100 towards a full cover.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you checked with Greyhound, I'm have stuff shipped with them and they are cheap. As far as boxing it I would wrap bubble rap around it and get me a box from U haul that I could modify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor