Tubular front upper control arms, who is running what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Well, I am actively looking for some tubular front upper control arms. I fear my downpipe will start contacting the stock one I have all refurbished and painted. This will cause false knock and screw with my tune.

So, I am curious as to who is using what.

For me, a vehicle driven 50 miles a day, 5 days a week plus weekends, I have to have a strong arm. I don't need them to be adjustable, they have to have a bump stop, and no solid or aluminum bushings. Poly is OK, rubber is OK, delrin I don't know about. Remember, this is a 9 month a year car (no snow/salt).

I have been looking at the Spohn upper arms. The use a poly bushing, a bump stop, and come without ball joints. I already have 1/2" taller new ball joints.

I have seen the UMI in person this past weekend at Carlisle, they look nice also.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Jim, I have UMI everything on my car I would recommend their products to anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Hey same boat here but I want both upper and lower arms. I want the umi because they are made here in pa but gbodyparts.com has both upper and lower for a much better price, have you checked those out?

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I've got the UMI uppers, with the tall ball joints. Only put then on last spring, so after 3800 miles, they are still doing well.

That is good to hear. I have tall uppers and lowers already, brand new, no miles since I haven't driven the car. I am just concerned with bushing wear on a daily driver.

Jim, I have UMI everything on my car I would recommend their products to anyone.

I seen UMI's stuff on the green machine at spring Carlisle last weekend, well built and nice stuff! They are at the top of my list.

Hey same boat here but I want both upper and lower arms. I want the umi because they are made here in pa but gbodyparts.com has both upper and lower for a much better price, have you checked those out?

I was thinking the same thing, made right here in PA. But they are a bit more than others. I did see the gbody parts, but there are no bump stops and they look kinda flimsy for a 3500 lb driver, in pot hole ridden PA, lol

I have these ones from SPC;
http://scandc.com/new/node/55
They are part of this kit from SC&C;
http://scandc.com/new/node/47
Guy

I had looked at those, but not sure I need the adjustments. After I get a performance alignment, it is there to stay. I don't need aggressive camber/caster settings. They are affordable though. They also don't have bump stops.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have been looking at all sorts of from arms, UMI, Global West, Hotchkiss, SC&C, etc. SOOOOO many to choose from.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Just so ya know they do have bump stop on the gbodyparts.com ones and I called to double check as well. In the pic they are not installed but they come with. And you can get them in red. I think they look safe for pa and I ride a hardtail chopper. Plus bot upper and lowers are 300 bucks cheaper. I am still unsure but if I buy them and they aren't up to code then I have to be thankful I have my own welding/fab and machine shop. Yes there are more expensive ones but if you drive headon into every pothole you see you are just asking for problems no matter what you drive. After 27 yrs I guess from riding a hardtail I just pay attention to tthe road more. Hell I will buy them and do a review.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I also have umi uppers with the taller ball joints. I had to use a spacer for my wheels since it was close to where the ball joint cup. Otherwise no issues

I am running 17" inch wheels, eventually 18", the tall uppers and lowers I have on now brint the a-arms close, but I have clearance. Thanks for the heads up!

Just so ya know they do have bump stop on the gbodyparts.com ones and I called to double check as well. In the pic they are not installed but they come with. And you can get them in red. I think they look safe for pa and I ride a hardtail chopper. Plus bot upper and lowers are 300 bucks cheaper. I am still unsure but if I buy them and they aren't up to code then I have to be thankful I have my own welding/fab and machine shop. Yes there are more expensive ones but if you drive headon into every pothole you see you are just asking for problems no matter what you drive. After 27 yrs I guess from riding a hardtail I just pay attention to tthe road more. Hell I will buy them and do a review.

Chophead, thanks for that info, I didn't see those bumpstops, or ever a place for them to go. The upper control arms have the bumpstops on the arms, and those arm are wide open in the middle, with no bracket for a bumpstop. The color isn't really an issue, since I will coat them to match all the rest of my stuff anyway. I also have the skill and tools to modify them as needed. It's just that I am modifying EVERYTHING and I want to drive this turd already, lol.

I hear ya on the head on in the potholes, that is what my kids and wife do, they don't even avoid the damn things.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Since my surgery I swear my wife aims for them. Just had my shoulder repaired after a bad accident. And 81 is the worst rd ever. If they stop bringing outsiders in to fix them and have company's from pa do them using people who know how to fix them right. Hot cold hot cold does wonders on a road lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor