Tucking bumpers - where to cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Malibu fiberglass bumpers - going to tuck them just a fraction.....not going to bring them in flush with the fender, just want to shorten an inch or so each side.....do I cut in the middle and re-join, or is it better to cut in the area under each headlight and join there? This is for the front bumper....

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd look at the contour lines about a quarter of the lenth from each end & work from there. Believe thats how the "pros" do it so they would look like nothing was done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
how do the glass ones mount?do they utlize the stock alumiumn plates or something else?i trimmed my steel bumper 3/4"on each side just to tighten it up a bit.I'm not a fan of the bumper under the header/filler delete look.i didn't cut it in the middle becuause i didn't want to deal with making new holes for said mounting aluminum plates.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
the Harwood bumper I have doesn't have mounts.....I intend to glass in a pair of pads to mount the bumper to frame mounts

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you're making the mounts where you see fit,i'd cut it once in the middle,get it all where you want it.that way you're only glassing ONE area vs both ends.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
anybody got pics of their bumper tucked an inch each side before I start chopping?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sorry these are the only pics i have.3/4" on each side.
1014171542.jpg
0228161546.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it a small amount but it makes it look a little cleaner..you have to trim the filllers a little too but it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor