Tune-up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 Cuttlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2012
What does a basic tune-up on a 1988 Cutlass consist of? I have an 88, with a 307. Also, how difficult is it to do it yourself? Dealer wants an arm and a leg for a tune-up, and I'm more inclined to do it myself vs paying. Any info/input is appreciated.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
1988 Cuttlass said:
What does a basic tune-up on a 1988 Cutlass consist of? I have an 88, with a 307. Also, how difficult is it to do it yourself? Dealer wants an arm and a leg for a tune-up, and I'm more inclined to do it myself vs paying. Any info/input is appreciated.
a basic tuneup would be plugs ,cap,and rotor.might as well replace wires,air ,fuel filter and do a oil change.It is not hard ,just need basic automotive knowledge and some basic tools.I would recommend getting a manual on your car.

bugsyroo01

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2013
The biggest issue you will have with changing the plugs is the damn smog pump lines that run into the exhaust man. PAIN in the rear to work around. Without the smog pump and the right tools it might take 30-40 mins to change plugs with good know how. Another small problem while changing the oil is the front spolier. haha unless you have ramps. Which I dont.... Lol One more thing. The distributer top looks way harder to get off than it actually is keep that in mind lol

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
This guy doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. If the engine is not running well the carb is the first place he should start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor