Turbo 3800 T56 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
For the longest time I thought the Terminator only worked on LS engines too or other V8s until I started looking at the software. It really is just a cheaper version of the HP EFI though and it was pretty easy to set up for the most part!

Basically just tell it that it's a 231 cubic inch 6 cylinder
hhTfcbS.png

Then it needs a custom ignition configuration to use the 3800's 3x sensor since Holley doesn't support an 18x signal on the crank.
0eWfTxU.png

I'm really excited for this though! It's going to make power tour much less stressful because I have a flex fuel sensor in here to automatically adjust fueling, boost, and timing based on the ethanol content. I can also ditch my other modules you typically have to run a higher end 3800: MAF scaler, boost controller, WOT Box, other data logging methods, the MAF itself :LOL:

There is a way of converting the 3800 to use LS style coils but I'm having trouble finding the link where there's someone selling the module to make it work..

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I am following along with great interest. This is my plan with my Century, but I have not gotten to it yet. I just keep looking at the pile of 3800 crap I have. Please keep us posted on the ins and outs of the Holley controller.

Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
For the longest time I thought the Terminator only worked on LS engines too or other V8s until I started looking at the software. It really is just a cheaper version of the HP EFI though and it was pretty easy to set up for the most part!

Basically just tell it that it's a 231 cubic inch 6 cylinder
hhTfcbS.png

Then it needs a custom ignition configuration to use the 3800's 3x sensor since Holley doesn't support an 18x signal on the crank.
0eWfTxU.png

I'm really excited for this though! It's going to make power tour much less stressful because I have a flex fuel sensor in here to automatically adjust fueling, boost, and timing based on the ethanol content. I can also ditch my other modules you typically have to run a higher end 3800: MAF scaler, boost controller, WOT Box, other data logging methods, the MAF itself :LOL:

There is a way of converting the 3800 to use LS style coils but I'm having trouble finding the link where there's someone selling the module to make it work..
You can still run 2 more injectors in 6/2 batch mode if you want to cool intake charge with meth.... it's easy to set up. 😉

• Happy
Reactions: 4 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
*blows the smoke off*

Been a while since I've posted an update! Been a little crazy busy over here the last few months

Check out my post on the 2022 Power Tour thread to see how that went though if you're interested!

The Holley EFI worked perfect the whole trip even with adjusting for E85/93 octane gasses being mixed at certain points in the trip!
The car had a few issues with self-ejecting belts though and a front main oil leak that caused a lot of headache this year.

As soon as I got home I went and got to work on fixing those issues. I replaced the front main seal and decided to create a whole new A/C bracket that would be a lot simpler than the old one.

For reference here's some pictures of the old A/C and alternator bracket I made back in 2018:
IgtJYRj.jpg

j3qDWTR.jpg

And here's what it looked like when I removed it:
IWABCiB.jpg

I knew it was broken on the front plate but I had braced it back in 2020 to band-aid it but at this point I had lost trust in this bracket. It was a neat idea but just not done very well.

The f-body alternator and tensioner bracket would have interfered with where I put the A/C compressor because of where the heater core lines were routed. Since I deleted my heater core elbows though this allowed me to modify this bracket and shave off the parts I didn't need. This meant I wouldn't have to make a bracket for the alternator and tensioner, I just would have to make a bracket for the a/c compressor!
xjfeZJ2.jpg

This would be the general area it would sit

rUr92XT.jpg

I made this first bracket from 1/4" sheet metal since I wanted it to be strong if not overkill for this thing. It grabbed two head bolts with this piece:
UZH3fKA.jpg

Trimmed it down and added another brace to grab the other head bolt:
wKFzxsw.jpg

drilled out some holes to lighten up these heavy pieces:
d7aY2s6.jpg

And here it is all finished up!

S8GWQVH.jpg

NSeJncL.jpg

It's also braced to the alternator in the back too to help keep it all aligned. I put a lot of time in making sure the front/rear spacing was perfect on this too and I think it's paid off!
I've put about 800 miles on the car since then and so far it's been pretty good!

Another issue that developed since I fixed that was that my rear shock brackets decided to leave the chat.
I'm using 98-02 4th gen f-body rear disc brakes on this so I had to relocate the shocks when I installed the QP 9" rear end.
I made these brackets at the time but now i've learned that 1/8" sheet metal isn't quite strong enough for a suspension component on a car driving between Michigan and Tennessee haha!

This is what they used to look like:
lGyuQ95.jpg

And this is what that turned into after I cut the brackets off after one of them broke:

33KvrDC.jpg

So I went and upgraded them to 1/4" plate and braced the top and bottom this time:
Aj7YOe4.jpg

zaqvlZG.jpg

rft6xD7.jpg

That should hopefully be strong enough now to hold a coilover someday too!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor