Turbo kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
There is a member on here that has the Cutlass used for the pics in your link. He lent them his car to do the fab work/install on before they brought the kit to market.

I plan on using that kit for my Cutlass when ready.

Reactions: 3 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
If your into eBay check on there l've seen some of cxracing kits on there, might find same one cheaper. It's a good kit but might want to see about up-grading the turbos to a ceramic bearing instead of float.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
CX kits are historically garbage. There was a video of hotrod garage where they made a turbo LS 2nd gen and basically ended up chopping the whole thing up. Not sure about the G body twins kit, but I would be surprised if it didn't take significant redoing.

There are guys that will sell a fabbed kit using truck manifolds and piping. It's a turbo LS g body, if you want a bolt in or "light" fab kit its already done. There really is no benefit for fabbed manifolds. These do have all the piping but cast manifolds are proven to work well past 800hp. Stock manifolds flipped facing forward with a Y pipe or a trick/holley passenger side cast manifold in grand national style and a single borg S475 or similar in the passenger fender well battery hole with a 4" down pipe either out the fender or where the AC box goes is proven to work pretty well.

Twin turbo setups are cool, but if you arent making over 800 the extra tubing, oil lines, exhaust, and all that stuff just isn't worth it. There is the room in a G body to package a big single and they spool fine.

• Agree

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
Twins do look cool, but there's more work involved, and it's pretty tight under the hood as it is. I used the stock truck driver's side manifold and came around the back of the motor into the passenger side like a turbo Buick. I put the waste gate under the car in the crossover. I fabricated my own passenger side. I didn't chop anything on the car. If you have a welder, you can save a lot of money and make your own setup.

Attachments

• buick2.jpg
    buick2.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 1,363
  • wg.jpg
    wg.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The kit header quality leaves a little bit to be desired in most all of the kits. But the CX Racing are at the top of the heap. Personally, I'm with 81Cutlass, using stock truck headers is 10x the durability of any of the cheap chinesium stainless. Trust me and ask how I know. I ran a set of the pre-fabbed units for a year and fixed them more than 4 times before I built my own. For our Motown LS we are using welded truck manifolds and we are into the second year without needing a repair and having a leak.

For an LS there is no reason to use anything other than stock truck headers flipped to the opposite sides until your HP goals exceed 1400. Not to start an argument with anyone here, but a single will not be outrun by a dual setup until you start dropping $1k+ each on your duals.

My last piece of turbo advice, DON'T GO TOO SMALL! There is no such thing as too big, ..... almost - lol. Think T6 for a 5.3 and nothing smaller than an S475. Again, ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor