turbo ls exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
I'm running a single turbo with stock GN dual exhaust system and it doesn't sound good at all. It sounds good with v6 but not v8. What is everyone using for an exhaust system? I was thinking single shot 3 1/2 or 4" with a straight through muffler.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018
I would suspect that most turbo'd LS G body guys are running custom exhausts. Hit up youtube and watch videos of turbo LS cars and pick what you like.

Reactions: 1 user

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
I'd like something that sounds nice. Idk what would sound better. dual exhaust with two separate mufflers, or single into one muffler then split. right now its a dual in and dual out muffler. or straight shot one pipe with one muffler.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'd like something that sounds nice. Idk what would sound better. dual exhaust with two separate mufflers, or single into one muffler then split. right now its a dual in and dual out muffler. or straight shot one pipe with one muffler.

Any chance you're using a Flowmaster Buick GN system? I have the same system on my Malibu and my muffler is rotted out. Pipes are fine though. Muffler is no longer available for Flowmaster :/ Let me know if you want to sell it

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is lose-lose because the cross-over and merge mash up the exhaust pulses before the turbine turns into a noise blender and kills all remaining pulse/chop that you want in a classic V8.

Personally, I am going to run a 4" downpipe to a boost-referenced cutout, and split it off to a 3" cat and a 3" aluminum single-shot with no muffler.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
attachment.php

attachment.php

I view the turbo as the muffler, at least that's what I told officer Friendly the last time I was pulled over.

Kidding aside, what you see in these pics is our tailpipe - that 4" oval tubing (same cross sectional area as 4" round). It's attached to a 4" down pipe that's hooked to an S480. It's not loud and very streetable until both wastegates open. Once they do you can't hear yourself think, but I kinda like it.

Running a turbo through a muffler, :/ why? Do you know what you're giving up in terms of HP with your current setup. Forget about the silly high EGT's your creating. What motor, cam and turbo are you running?

• Winner

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I would have to agree with every one else. I think a six cylinder needs a muffler, because they sound dumb to begin with. I would take the muffler off your LS and see what it sounds like and go from there. If it drones, that would be a deal breaker for me though. I have a turbo six going into two glasspacks. Now that sounds dumb! I plan to change that soon.

• Haha

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I was told by exhaust companies to use as long of a muffler (Magnflow) that can fit on a 6 cyl. I used 2 round 22 inch X 3 inch on a 300+hp. 4.3 .IT rounded REAL GOOD.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor