Turbo LS oil pan mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Building an ‘85 Regal 5.3 with passenger side turbo. Just picked up a Holley 302-2 oil pan and wondering if anyone has used one of them on their turbo build? Looking for info on what I need to do to make it turbo ready. I know it needs a drain, but where’s the best place for it, and what does it consist of? Also, where does the oil come from that goes to the turbo? Thanks, 1st turbo build...

cdunson79

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2018
The 302-3 pan has drains already in the sides but on my build (82 elco with hooker mounts) these where too close the crossmember to use so i had fittings welded on just a few inches back. (twins).

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Most people pull turbo oil supply off the oil filter/cooler supply cover on the drivers rear side of the pan above the oil filter.

The 302-3 has drains in the pan but holley themselves admitted its for fox bodies with a tubular k member so its a no go as mentioned.

A common place to put the drain if you aren't running AC is to drill/tap the timing cover near the passenger side bottom above the pan bolt flange. Otherwise somewhere in the side of the pan behind the crossmember works.

Reactions: 1 user

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Ok, thanks guys. Anyone have any pics? I’ve not welded on aluminum before so I think I’ll try it out on my stock truck pan. And yes, I plan on keeping the ac.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You can do something like a -8 ORB (o-ring boss) straight fitting and avoid welding or no NPT thread on one end and a JIC 37 degree flare on the other.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I'm using the stock truck oil pan in my Z71 swap. I plan to use the feed located on the oil filter adapter. I added a 10 AN drain fitting to the front of the pan on the passenger side.
Remember that size is important! The turbo oil drain should be big and allow for gravity return or you may have issues with turbo seals and smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor