turbo mante rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I posted a thread awhile back about a Turbo Monte. I was wondering what rear this car probably came with without crawling under it right now (2-3 feet of snow -20 celcius or lower with windchill right now). I can pick it up really cheap (the car) with the origanal engine/turbo setup on a stand. He wont separate the car from the engine/turbo but they are not in the car. I was thinking if they came with an 8.5" rear I would swap my rear for that one then dump the car for a few hundred dollars and not have much invested.

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
i dont know the gear ratio but it will be a 7.5 inch rear end. the 8.5 inch rear ends only come in 1984 hurst olds, 1985-1987 442 and 1984-1987 grand national

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm good with the gears I got right now. 3.42's. I just wasn't sure what rear it would of came with. I figured if it was a 8.5" I'd swap them and sell the monte. but if its only a 7.5" then its not worth my time.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
Turbo Montes were only in 1980 and 81. I have a 7.5 rear out of one in my '78 and it has held up very well. GM used 3 styles of carriers durign the smog years for the 7.5 and of those, the Turbo Montes had one of the better ones with cone type clutch packs vs. springs type packs. I've got a 1" Richmond spacer with a US Gear 3.73 8.5 ring and pinion. I'd put it up against any other GM 10 or 12 bolt. The weak link is the stock axles, not the carrier style so much but the cone style is worth building. If that Monte has some nice options, I wouldn't mind having it if you are willing to share the info on its whereabouts or a contact person. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor