Turbo400 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
Has anyone tried to beef up their own trans before? I have looked at some videos and they all seem very technical. I have a th400 looking to make 500-600hp from a 468 bbc. Not much stuff unless u wana spend 1400 bucks.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As long as your not afraid to get into one go for it. They are a very simple transmission and easy to work on. There is a book out by Ron Sessions (How to work with and modify the Turbo 400). I'm not a trans man but have built 7 performance 400s (2 trans brake) with this book w/o any problems and they are still going.

Reactions: 1 user

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
As long as your not afraid to get into one go for it. They are a very simple transmission and easy to work on. There is a book out by Ron Sessions (How to work with and modify the Turbo 400). I'm not a trans man but have built 7 performance 400s (2 trans brake) with this book w/o any problems and they are still going.
Thx man! That makes me feel better bout it. What are some special tools that ur average man's garage wouldn't have that I would need for this project?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Not too much out of the ordinary. A slide hammer to pull the front pump, Some bushing drivers (I made my own) snap ring pliers, a 3/8ths- 3/8ths thin wall 12 point socket for center support (could be an Allen head) some sort of spring compressor for clutch pistons (pair of c clamps will work-I adapted my drill press) dial indicator and torque wrenches (in lb) I did buy a trans holding fixture for the bench (could make one). You probably have the rest.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
Not too much out of the ordinary. A slide hammer to pull the front pump, Some bushing drivers (I made my own) snap ring pliers, a 3/8ths- 3/8ths thin wall 12 point socket for center support (could be an Allen head) some sort of spring compressor for clutch pistons (pair of c clamps will work-I adapted my drill press) dial indicator and torque wrenches (in lb) I did buy a trans holding fixture for the bench (could make one). You probably have the rest.
Thx!

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, buy a spring compressor press for $60 off ebay. Some snap correct ring pliers. Any of the rebuild books. Need a 32 element direct drum from a 4L80 and your choice of shift kit.

There are a few tools for a less than $100 that would make it awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor