Turn signal issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
My 76 Malibu uses an 1157 dual filament bulb for the rear turn signal bulb. The one on the left (drivers side) works fine. The bulb on the rear right will light but not flash. The 4 way hazard flashers work. The bulbs second filament lights when when I engage the headlights. I have replaced both the front and rear bulbs and cleaned the bulb sockets. I have replaced the only turn signal flasher that I know of located in the fuse panel. There are 2 other units that look like flasher relays among the wiring under the dash. Don't know what they are. One has a noticeably longer case than the other. Not sure where to go at this point. Should I pull these two other units and try to track down what they are by the numbering stamped on them?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If one side flashes the TS flasher is fine. If the 4 ways work that flasher is fine. No need to worry about the flashers.

I would check all grounds for the lights front and rear. Make sure the wiring has not been damaged and is shorting/grounding out front or rear. Sometimes this is also caused by one filament of a two filament bulb being broken and contacting the other filament of the bulb.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Check the inside tabs of the sockets. Use a bent pick to pull them them out slightly so they contact the bulb contact.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Check the inside tabs of the sockets. Use a bent pick to pull them them out slightly so they contact the bulb contact.
if the ground was bad wouldn't that keep both filaments in the bulb from lighting at all?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There isn't much you haven't tried. I've fixed mine with pulling out the tabs a little bit. If if don't work for ya, it don't.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Dumb. But true. If the improperly working bulb is brighter than the properly working bulb remove it, rotate 180 degrees, and reinsert then twist home.

On some models it's possible to insert the bulb backwards and get the symptoms you speak of.

Solved the issue on a Pontiac my mom had fail inspection on her in Vermont. First thing I tried after she told me the garage failed her for it not working properly after charging her to replace a burned out bulb during the inspection.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
There isn't much you haven't tried. I've fixed mine with pulling out the tabs a little bit. If if don't work for ya, it don't.
At this point anything is worth a shot,,,was just wondering if I was misdiagnosing due to lack of experience on my part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor