Turn Signal Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm in the process of getting my 1985 Monte Carlo SC back in fighting shape, but one of the problems I've recently come across is the non responsiveness of my turn signals. All the bulbs are working and the fuses are new but I'm not getting the signals to flash, they will light up and so i do know they are working but no flash from them at all not even on my dash column.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Mine did this also. Im not really sure what fixed it but I replaced the switch in the column and had to rewire some grounds. After I did that the problem went away and its been fine ever since. Hope this helps . . .

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
-83MONTESS- said:
Mine did this also. Im not really sure what fixed it but I replaced the switch in the column and had to rewire some grounds. After I did that the problem went away and its been fine ever since. Hope this helps . . .

Im opend to replacing the turn signal switch but i was wondering how hard of a process it would be.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you check the flasher unit? Do the hazards work?

shocktech4

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2009
B.C Canada
also check the connector in the rear trunk. they connections break off some times.. happened to my cutlass a few time, there stupid solid wires. so if they start to bend they will more then likely break.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
shocktech4 said:
also check the connector in the rear trunk. they connections break off some times.. happened to my cutlass a few time, there stupid solid wires. so if they start to bend they will more then likely break.
Forgot mine also had a broken connector in the trunk.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Simple fix, you need a flasher. Its not on the fuse panel it will be tucked up under the dash somewhere, could be harder to find. The flasher on the fuse panel is for your hazards, a different flasher circuit than your turns. Find the other flasher and replace with any similar 12v flasher at the auto store. Your turn flasher will have a blue and a purple wire going to its connector.

...some cars may have the turn flasher wired to the fuse panel, if thats the case you will see two flashers on the panel itself. If you don't see two flashers there start looking under and in back of the dash to find the other one. Other cars will have the turn signal flasher in the fuse panel and the hazard tucked under the dash, I'm assuming you already checked the flasher on the fuse panel and no luck.

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
custom442 said:
Simple fix, you need a flasher. Its not on the fuse panel it will be tucked up under the dash somewhere, could be harder to find. The flasher on the fuse panel is for your hazards, a different flasher circuit than your turns. Find the other flasher and replace with any similar 12v flasher at the auto store. Your turn flasher will have a blue and a purple wire going to its connector.

...some cars may have the turn flasher wired to the fuse panel, if thats the case you will see two flashers on the panel itself. If you don't see two flashers there start looking under and in back of the dash to find the other one. Other cars will have the turn signal flasher in the fuse panel and the hazard tucked under the dash, I'm assuming you already checked the flasher on the fuse panel and no luck.

My hazards work so I think u might be right about the flasher, I'll begin looking for it tmrw, is it an actual fuse are some thing different altogether. Do u have description of it so i will know what to look for.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is it, along with the clip that holds it. Usually right up under the dash, to the right of the steering column.
getimagephpimageurlhttp3A2F2Finforockautocom2FTridon2FLF12_K.jpg

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Do you have the correct bulbs? The wrong bulbs could cause the flasher not to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor