turn signal stalk/switch fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
i just swapped my column out for another similar year (col. shift, cruise, tilt, wiper delay) this evening.
went well, took about 1.5 hours since my kids were constantly interrupting me...anyway, after I finished and tested everything, the turn switch is out of whack.
The left turn clicks down and works fine , but the right signal will not click up.
If you hold the stalk up (right turn signal position) it will not work either, like there isn't enough room for the mechanism to activate the right signal.
BUT if you turn on the left signal, and immediately hold the stalk up in the right-turn-signal position, the Right signals will work....only while you are stilll holding it up, Once you let go, they shut off, like being in the neutral (off) position.
Anyone have a clue as to how to fix this?

wrenchbend1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2013
Inside the column is a part called the cancel cam it is integral with the horn contact. It has two humps that hit the cancel cam springs . It sounds like you are trying to apply the right turn signal while it is on the cancel cam . try turning the steering wheel half a turn and see if the interference is gone. if it is still there could be a problem on the inside requiring teardown ,if its gone then all is good .

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like one of the guide springs is broken...the replacement springs are easy to find since it's a common problem

bd07de11cb5a2f52e1b89197469ddc29.jpg

DCP_0757.JPG

wrenchbend1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2013
Now that I see these photos it reminds me . In the lower photo it shows a screwdriver being applied to a screw. If that same screw becomes loose it will have those characteristics you mentioned so check that screw first !!!! Thanks to Pontiacgp for the photos !!! I gotta learn how to do that !!!!
Regards
Dave

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
I have the same issue, my turn signal stalk feels its jammed when I move it up or down. I'll give it a shoot. How
Do I get the steering wheel off?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
marz442 said:
I have the same issue, my turn signal stalk feels its jammed when I move it up or down. I'll give it a shoot. How
Do I get the steering wheel off?

remove the nut and use a steering wheel puller...

images

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
To get down to the turn signal screws, the hardest part of the disassembly /reassembly IMO is removing the lock ring on the lock plate. Pull off the plastic dust cap. Be careful, they are dry and brittle at this point, and made of unobtainium. You have to push down on the plate, then gently lever the split ring out of the notch in the shaft. A small flat screwdriver (sharpened helps) is my tool of choice. At this point, and extra pair of fingers pushing down on the plate is useful. I am struggling to find small jobs my 5 and 7 YOs can help with, and this be one of them.

Attachments

• DSCN5034.JPG
    DSCN5034.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 592

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I absolutely agree on the lockplate tool. It saves your fingers and makes life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor