Turn Signals dont work with headlights on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offthecuh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2020
Arizona
I have a 86 monte carlo base and when i turn on the headlights the turn signals stop working , ive replaced the turn signal relay and turn signal switch, any help is appreciated!

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Do they work with only the parking lights on?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Gonna have to start testing then. The ground connector on the front turn signal sockets is wonky and prone to failure.
The other place these 2 circuits cross paths is the steering column. There really isn't much information to go on other than the problem listed.
When did it start?
All the bulbs good?
Brakes affect it?
Power and ground sufficient at EACH socket?
Battery good?
Alternator good (14.4v @ 3000rpm, minimum)?
Battery connections clean and secure?
To quote Nick Bolte, "there's just nothing like it on the market, today"

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
What about the two main grounds under the dash on either side? Have you checked those?

One is below the e-brake release lever, the other below the right side of the glove box. Both 10mm bolt with captured star washer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Offthecuh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2020
Arizona
What about the two main grounds under the dash on either side? Have you checked those?

One is below the e-brake release lever, the other below the right side of the glove box. Both 10mm bolt with captured star washer.
I missed those, ill check them out this evening and let you know, it’s currently 109 outside, hot!

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Has the source of the problem been found?
I wonder if there is something going-on with the wiring to the taillights

Offthecuh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2020
Arizona
Has the source of the problem been found?
I wonder if there is something going-on with the wiring to the taillights
Nope not yet, checked the grounds and they look fine, i believe it was one of the results of the previous owner chopping up all the wires down there, soo much bad splicing its hard to even start at or workon, ive since then replaced and tested all fuses and replaced the headlight switch, honestly thinking about throwing in the towel and having my mechanic look at it. Im 16 and this is my first car, ive done alot to it and have really tried to test my knowledge but this is completely out of my skill level, thanks for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor