Turn signals not flashing, intermittent problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Its bulb related. Take the bulbs out one at a time and clean the contacts as well as the socket, lube with dielectrically grease and reinstall. Check harness grounds at the back as well as the front. Most of the problems are bad grounds. Alternator that takes time to charge? That could be related to the alternator cooling system not working properly :)

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
It did it again the other day. I noticed this time it was only on the right side. I agree it’s most likely bulb related.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Took out the rear bulbs and they looked fine. When I put them back in, the signals didn’t work. I wound up replacing the bulbs, and the problem is fixed. Not sure if there was corrosion in the socket or what. I didn’t see anything. Problem is fixed now so I’m happy.

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I replaced all the outside bulbs on mine even though they "looked" good. It is worth it vs chasing Gremlins. Looking Good doesn't equate to Working Good.

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Took out the rear bulbs and they looked fine. When I put them back in, the signals didn’t work. I wound up replacing the bulbs, and the problem is fixed. Not sure if there was corrosion in the socket or what. I didn’t see anything. Problem is fixed now so I’m happy.
Might be a good reason to check your tail light’s too, on my ‘88 Caprice they worked but had an crazy amount of corrosion.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I replaced all the outside bulbs on mine even though they "looked" good. It is worth it vs chasing Gremlins. Looking Good doesn't equate to Working Good.
Agreed, those things are cheap anyway. Even when replacing them didn’t help in the case of my Pontiac Bonneville, I still wasn’t disappointed in my purchase, peanut bulbs works for other vehicles too 👍

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I never posted the update to this. I replaced all the rear bulbs, and the lights all work as they should.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The design is problematic. But newer cars still using incandescent bulbs are even worse. My fix was to melt a small blob of solder onto the little buttons on the bottom of the bulb that make contact in the socket. That way even if the contact strips are weak, the blobs are bigger than needed and work much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor