Turn Signals

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang,

I have a question about my turn signals and side marker lights on my '78 Malibu. I'll try to break this down as clearly as I see it.

1. Turn signals all flash, front and rear, when headlights are on or off.
2. When I turn the headlights on. the turn indicator on the dash comes on, on the right side only, as if I'm making a right turn, but the light stays on. This used to happen on both turn indicators, but one has since gone out when the headlights are on.
3. With the headlights on, when I go to make a right turn, the right hand dash indicator flashes like it should when you make a turn, and the turn signal flashes outside the car, but in opposite phase. When the dash light is on, the turn signal is off, and vice versa.
4. With the headlights on and the right side dash turn indicator light lit, the side marker light is off. It's fine on the drivers side. The right hand side marker light flashes like it should when the headlights are off.

It seems like that (with the headlights on) when the turn stalk is in the off position, I have power running through the dash, but as soon as the stalk is moved to make a right turn, power alternates from the dash to the turn bulb. Shouldn't power be running through that circuit at the same time, so that the dash indicator flashes in phase with the turn bulb?
Also, when power is running through the dash indicator, there is no power to the side marker light.

Could this be a ground problem? A bulb problem? I really don't know where to start checking, because I'm kind of a newbie with car electrics. Any advice would be well appreciated!!

And thanks in advance for helping me out. You guys are an awesome group of people!

Rob

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I would look at the printed circuit on the back of the gauge cluster. The power for the dash illumination runs right next to the ground for the turn signal indicators. it the printed circuit has moved or shrank over time or the bayonet in light bulb socket is wrong from another application it could do some weird stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Ground each bulb with a jumper wire to ground. Start at the rear as that is most common

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Visually check all your bulbs, you may have one of the double filament bulbs that has a broken filament and has bridged across to the other circuit. While there as stated above...Check the grounds.

Reactions: 1 users

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
I have same kinda issue. Lights on rite signal light on dash lights up and front side marker light out. Lights on and right signal on front turn signal light in grill and side marker light flash opposite. I ground, I'll have to double check now I'm thinking of it, lights but might've ground headlights not all lights.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I have same kinda issue. Lights on rite signal light on dash lights up and front side marker light out. Lights on and right signal on front turn signal light in grill and side marker light flash opposite. I ground, I'll have to double check now I'm thinking of it, lights but might've ground headlights not all lights.
I wound up having a couple of really frayed wires behind the battery that I couldn't see until I pulled it out. I got some new bulb sockets from Rock, and got them working after much swearing. The bulbs didn't want to seat in the new sockets and make a strong connection. Took a bit of fiddling and one blown fuse, but I got all of the turn signals working when they should, and the lights on the dash went out. It's my belief that it truly was a ground issue like Greg and others mentioned above.

dadep76

Greasemonkey
May 11, 2021
Yeah this is fun. I'm gonna look at it on Sat and see what kinda words I can say I have said in awhile. Lol. Thanks for help.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor