BUILD THREAD Turning Back Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
FYI, on the latch/tumblers, I found the WD-40 lithium spray grease works wonders. When I had my Avalanche a few years ago, the tailgate mechanism was seized solid to the point I was starting to bend the key. I took the latch handle mechanism off and gave it a good soak, and it worked like brand new.

1597091857749.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
A while back, there was a post about reproducing parts for the G-body and I chimed in that I'd like to see reproductions of the old Malibu rally wheels in a bigger diameter. The originals were a 14x6 wheel with a pentagonal cap and holes in the stamped steel centers. Here's what I would like to reproduce in 18":
Rally Wheels.JPG
The 2wd S10 had wheels in a different paint scheme that used the same wheel center in a 15x7 form. The caps worked equally well in those rims. I picked up a set of reproduction caps and emblems from various Internet resources over the years.
Rally Caps 1.JPG Rally Caps.JPG Rally Insert.JPG
I've had this idea to use a set of late-model Camaro base-model steelies. I'll need to paint them to echo the old Malibu rally pattern, or get some stickers printed to outline the holes. Here is a mock-up of my idea:
IMG_2165.jpg
This requires a set of adapters to convert to the 5x120 pattern, 14x1.5 lug studs, plus a 1.5 to 2-inch offset.
IMG_0453.JPEG IMG_0459.JPEG
I have picked up a couple sets of the aluminum versions, but I finally scored a set of the steelies. On the same weekend, EBay coughed up a set of OEM beauty rims and caps in case I need to adapt the latter to the Malibu caps. Meanwhile, the Forum again provides - I obtained a set of four of the steel clip rings from a set of OEM rallies.
IMG_0450.JPEG IMG_0451.JPEG IMG_0461.JPEG
So, here is the start of the adventure.
IMG_0454.JPEG IMG_0455.JPEG IMG_0452.JPEG
The lugs will fit under the caps. The only conflict is the angle of the center stamping conflicts with the cap edges. Have to design some shims or shave the caps. The wheel adapters leave pockets for a fastener head to stick out no problem,
IMG_0457.JPEG
Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My weekends continue to evaporate, so I have not made much progress on my 18" Rally wheel concept. Instead, I just bolted them onto the car and put away the S10 ZQ8 rims with no-mile rubber that was going to waste on the driveway. I got a second set of wheel adapters, 1.5" this time. Ran into two problems. The 2-1/2" long wheel studs I put into the rear disc brake hubs stick out too far, so I swapped two of the 2" adapters from the coupe. Second problem is that the Camaro rims don't fit over the taper of the stock rotor/hub with only 1.5" adapters. I ugly-bolted them on so that car at least sits on the ground for now. Not planning to drive it this way. Middle and right photos show the difference.

IMG_0618.JPG DSCN6028.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

The tires are way too tall - I can't even turn the front wheels without severe rubbing on the fender liners. The BF Goodrich T/As have a nice rounded sidewall. That gets lost trading for a 40-series sidewall needed to match the stock diameter.

IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0610.JPG

For $160 on CL, the steelies came with 10-year-old low-mile tires, but they hold air, so why not store the car on them for a while? Oh, and what better place to keep the beauty rims and caps safe but on the car? I have to admit, I kind of like the Camaro wheels as-is.

IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

When I swap in the S10 knuckles and packaged hub assemblies, the conflict with the rotor hubs will solve itself. One potential benefit is that the S10 conversion makes the front track wider by a half inch or so. If I put the 1.5" adapters on the front and the 2" adapters on the rear, that may provide the optimum appearance. We will see.

Washed the wagon and put a new car cover on it. Back to the day job. Ready for Christmas break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor