Turning radius

Do not fix or fix

• Leave alone, it will never go there

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Add weld to knuckle to lower stop.

• Thread an extension to the lower arm stopper but you will loose steering angle

• Machine back lower control arm stopper and thread a tall stopper on.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
How many degrees does your front wheels turn at full lock?

I have the UMI control arms with tall ball joint and the Blazer spindles. This combination make the steering limiter miss each other. The stopper on the spindle is higher than the stopper on the lower control arm. If the suspension is a full compression it can actually jump over the stop and get stuck there. 100 people may have this issure but how often is a car at full compression and full lock? It's also easy for me to check due to having delerin bushings, heims and no springs. That round stopper on the lower control arm has a threaded hole in the middle.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.04.22 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.04.22 PM.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 141
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.04.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.04.29 PM.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 146
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.06.06 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-07 at 10.06.06 PM.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 159

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The only thing I can think of is if you are making a turn into a driveway apron ramp. It may compress the one side while you are making a pretty sharp turn. I think I would find a way to extend the stop so that it hits.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Those aluminum stops that come with those arms arms are bigger in diameter than the threaded portion of the lower arm.id bolt a pair of them in,cycle the front end a bunch and see whats showing. they're
aluminum so there will be a reference mark.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I'm looking at the picture with the arrow and if I'm understanding it correctly, the spindle actually hops over the lower control arm. Hence the mark on the lower control arm. I'm sure you may have thought of this already, but is it possible to bolt an oblong stopping tab onto the lower control arm since the stop bumper won't work there. You may be able to bolt the bumper to that tab if that is needed to keep the turning radius from clocking too far. Again, just a thought.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Have you asked UMI?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I would fix it so that it cannot get stuck with the wheels turned. If you have to make an emergency turn and hit a pothole hard etc. why risk it. You are doing so much work to get it just right now why leave something like this unchecked?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I didn't know what the aluminum discs were for. Okay so I installed them and the at full suspension compression. The spindle stopper will not jump over the disc but it is on the absolute edge.
I think the easiest solution would be a bigger diameter disc. Still concerned with loosing steering angle. I"m 25 degree with no stopper.

UMI suggested I drill and tap my spindle and install a bolt. Not sure if they fully understand because they speak of a jamb nut etc but it did give me an idea to drill, tap and install a bolt running upwards into the spindle. That would effectively make the stop lower to reach the lower control arm. So the edge of the bolt would have to end up flush with the original stopper.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I didn't know what the aluminum discs were for. Okay so I installed them and the at full suspension compression. The spindle stopper will not jump over the disc but it is on the absolute edge.
I think the easiest solution would be a bigger diameter disc. Still concerned with loosing steering angle. I"m 25 degree with no stopper.

UMI suggested I drill and tap my spindle and install a bolt. Not sure if they fully understand because they speak of a jamb nut etc but it did give me an idea to drill, tap and install a bolt running upwards into the spindle. That would effectively make the stop lower to reach the lower control arm. So the edge of the bolt would have to end up flush with the original stopper.
i think they meant to place said bolt so it's pointing down like the stocker so it strikes the disk area.usually these spindles have a tang(!) pointed downwards that contacts the O.E riveted on stop plate on the lower control arm..I'd make a larger stop plate,and run it see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm running the taller bj's all around etc i beat my car on the regular and it's just grabbing the stops.i think a slightly over sized disk might be the fix for you.it's cheap and easy.it's hard to imagine the perfect storm of full lock/full compression @xyz speeds but the last thing any of us like to do is overthink things's and get stuck there..

Attachments

• DSCF4064.JPG
    DSCF4064.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'm running the taller bj's all around etc i beat my car on the regular and it's just grabbing the stops.i think a slightly over sized disk might be the fix for you.it's cheap and easy.it's hard to imagine the perfect storm of full lock/full compression @xyz speeds but the last thing any of us like to do is overthink things's and get stuck there..

The contact point in your set up seems to be at the top edge of that aluminum disc too. If that pic is at full droop. I bet it would jump over the stopper at full compression. Are you using G body spindles?

I am using Blazer spindles so I was thinking it's the odd combination of non stock parts. UMI control arms, the tall ball joints and Blazer spindles.
I didn't want to sacrifice any steering angle. It's already crap at 25 deg. Are all G bodies like this?

So as UMI suggested, I drilled and tapped the spindles for a 3/8 socket head cap screw.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 8.57.10 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 8.57.10 AM.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 93
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 8.57.19 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 8.57.19 AM.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor