Twin Turbo Idea(Remote Activated Turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Ok I dont know if most of you guys are familiar with the remote mount turbos but if not just do some search on it. I know there are mixed feeling about it working or not working as efficiently like its suppose to but regardless of that they are proven to make numbers.

My idea is for a sbc motor preferrably the hated 305. Motor is pretty much built to stock specs with internals built to handle turbo and a cam a little bigger than stock.

My idea is to have a decent gas mileage vehicle with basically horsepower on demand. I read a build where they did a 302 or 305 supercharged and still got 20 something mpg and 500hp.

Anyway the system would be ran as normal but the catch would be in the exhaust. Im thinking about adding one of those electric exhaust cutouts. When it is open it would run through the regular exhaust(straight pipes) but when closed the exhaust would be running through the turbos.

My thinking is performance on demand with gas mileage. Also my turbos wouldnt be costantly running so I dont less to worry about as far as the oil pumps going out or the turbos getting messed up because they arent constantly spooling.

If i just went regular remote mount turbos and set the boost low then I would most likely have a problem with the turbos being more of a restriction than helping. This is where the electric exhaust cutout comes to play. Exhaust is not running through the turbos so the arent active. I flipped the switch and exhaust is routed to the turbos for beast mode and I got hp on demand and can boost it up knowing my engine can handle it. Flip it back for cruise mode. I know it would be a plumbing nightmare but the only extra plumbing would be for the regular exhaust when turbos arent active(not counting the turbo plumbing in that).

Heck the plumbing of a traditional turbo is a nightmare. Let me know what you think about this.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
sounds interesting to me the first problem I see is air intake if the turbos aren't spooling then it would be like having the choke on all the time and kill any performance or gas mileage. as it would be trying to breath through all the piping and the non spooling turbos

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
I could fabricate the cutout to work on the intake side too. When not in use it would bypass the tube going to the intake manifold. Kinda like a blowoff valve but always open unless I activate it to close it. I didnt think about that until you said something. Thanks for the input. This idea makes my decision to rebuild my current 305 for twin turbo or getting the cadillac bb or the 430 big block. Hmm I see myself buying another gbody for this project.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I think the biggest problem would be the fuel delivery. Are you planning a fuel injection setup or a blow-thru carb setup?

I would think fuel injection would be the best bet, have it programmed in with your electric cutout switch to give different fuel map or something like that.

It may be easier just to buy an LS1 setup and swap that into the car and then turbo it, rather than design one from scratch

Someone mentioned that rear mounted turbo setups have more lag than a normal setup. But i guess if you use two small turbos rather than one large turbo that would help with lag.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
HurstOlds said:
I think the biggest problem would be the fuel delivery. Are you planning a fuel injection setup or a blow-thru carb setup?

I would think fuel injection would be the best bet, have it programmed in with your electric cutout switch to give different fuel map or something like that.

It may be easier just to buy an LS1 setup and swap that into the car and then turbo it, rather than design one from scratch

Someone mentioned that rear mounted turbo setups have more lag than a normal setup. But i guess if you use two small turbos rather than one large turbo that would help with lag.

I think the fuel delivery will be pretty straight forward. As long as I have a fuel system capable of supporting my hp. I would be looking for 550 max. Blow thru carb if I stay with the carb route and powerjection 3 if I go the fuel injection route. Going with that because the installation and wiring is less and more cleaner look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlntQ5txZQ

As far as design Im using the same setup that squires is using. Im just buying the pieces separately to get parts at a bargain from ebay or craiglist. Turbos will be matched to my motor so not really worried about lag. Thats my understanding from reading and research. All the videos I have watched the lag wasnt that bad or not even really noticeable. Some videos where a professional install like on a vette and a camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cvNXQOCjo
I love at the end what he says bout turbo lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFA93_U9hY

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I've been toying with this idea for awhile now. My next plan is either a procharger or remote mount twins. I wouldn't worry about trying to put cutouts before them to shut them off though, my opinion. But as far as being restrictive when they are off, you'd be suprised how well my 8.5:1 or worse motor runs when the belts off. Hell i'm suprised myself, it will spin the rotors with just the air being pulled by vacum. Have you checked these guys out?
http://www.ststurbo.com/

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
jrm81bu said:
I've been toying with this idea for awhile now. My next plan is either a procharger or remote mount twins. I wouldn't worry about trying to put cutouts before them to shut them off though, my opinion. But as far as being restrictive when they are off, you'd be suprised how well my 8.5:1 or worse motor runs when the belts off. Hell i'm suprised myself, it will spin the rotors with just the air being pulled by vacum. Have you checked these guys out?
http://www.ststurbo.com/

Yup. Thats what Im basing my turbo build off of.(for research and if I eventually do it) If i dont reroute the turbo so they arent getting exhaust then they will boost. The cutout was going to reroute the exhaust so it goes out just like a regular exhaust system, then when I wanted to go into beast mode I would flip the cutout switch and reroute the exhaust to the turbo side.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Thet won't create any boost at part throttle. They use blow off valves for that, and if your not getting on it it won't create enough exhaust gas to spin them fast enough to spool. My lil blower doesn't create any boost until i get into it. Some of the newer miniblowers use small valves to creat less drag at cruise speed but my doesn't even use that.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
but with it not creating boost isnt that creating a restriction in the exhaust. from what i've read that is my understanding. Plus the remote mount use the oil pumps. If im not boosting at all then I dont have to run the pumps which will extend the life of them because Im not using them the whole time Im driving the car. Thanks for all the input

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
kingcolbert83 said:
but with it not creating boost isnt that creating a restriction in the exhaust. from what i've read that is my understanding. Plus the remote mount use the oil pumps. If im not boosting at all then I dont have to run the pumps which will extend the life of them because Im not using them the whole time Im driving the car. Thanks for all the input

The "restricion in the exhaust" thing really isn't an issue. It doesn't restrict a GN.
In the remote mount set up the oil is being pumped to them from the motor by the engines oil pump. Those pumps have to run any time the engines on to aid in returnig oil back to the engine, or you run the risk of starving the engine(not good :lol: ), regardless of wether or not the turbos are spinning.
You could use electrical actuated valves for the oil lines along with your cutouts, but i think you would be opening yourself up to have alot of things go wrong. The pumps should be pretty durable anyway, look at the electric fuel pumps, they can last quite awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor