Two questions about my '79 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I replaced my windshield a week ago. The original was cracked and scratched. I also had water leaking into the vehicle and puddling on the passenger side floor board. I assumed the old windshield sealer was the cause of the leak. Apparently not because even after the new windshield, I continue to have rain water collecting in the floor board.

Anyone have a suggestion of where else this leak might be coming from?

Another question: My car has a 2.29 rear end gear. I have a '79 Calais I use as a parts car. Without checking the codes, will the Calais rear end have a better gear ratio? It came with the same drivetrain. That being an Olds 260 and T200 combo. I've replaced the steering box and sway bars. Noticed a slight improvement. What else would be worthwhile to swap from this Calais?

Thanks for any replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Try having someone spray a garden hose around the windshield edges and cowl area while you watch from the inside. I don't know how to tell which rearend ratio you have without jacking it up and spinning it. If you already swapped the box, bars and springs you pretty much have all the good stuff.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Csilvy2000 said:
.....Anyone have a suggestion of where else this leak might be coming from?
I would suspect that there is a clog in the drain of the ac/heater box which will overflow into the passenger floor board area. If there are leaves/trash inside this box, it will dam up the drain. You have to take off the screen cover to check it. Also, check the seal around the A/C Heater box. It gets dry and brittle and will allow water in.

Csilvy2000 said:
.....Another question: My car has a 2.29 rear end gear. I have a '79 Calais I use as a parts car. Without checking the codes, will the Calais rear end have a better gear ratio?
Thanks for any replies.

Impossible to know without checking the rear end code on the sticker inside the trunk....viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18896&p=193341&hilit=rear+end+code#p193341

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Clean out the drain in your A/C box. If that is clean and free then it will likely be the seal around the box to firewall.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
We didnt get our ROYAL SMART status in a cracker jack box....lol :rofl:

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for the replies. This is a great website!

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
are you sure it rain water? have you had rain in the last week? if not, it could be from your A/C like the others have mentioned, or possibly the heater core leaking.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I am having the same problem with water on p/s floorboard. I sealed windshield, resealed a/c box and cleaned out drains. Still have the same puddle, a little less but still there. I think it is actually either the roof rail or lower door seal and just the way it runs into the car up high near sideview. I have the seals but I want to do bodywork and paint before I replace seals...

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
I had the same issue in my cutlass. Turned out water was leaking in through the ac box. There were a couple cracks letting water drip around the little door that goes around the diaphram next to your right passenger foot. If I propped the door open no leaks but then there is an open hole into your car. Otherwise check the ac box under the intake vent thing. It has to be sealed every where. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor