U Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
What is this clip type thing on my u joint? When I removed my driveshaft to check the joints for play I noticed it barely hanging on. It’s bent a little too.
88A6B702-7441-4158-8F99-60A72A7B4FFA.jpeg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you have a vibration that you don't know where it is coming from so why would you not replace a u-joint that has been in the car since it was built..... :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
you have a vibration that you don't know where it is coming from so why would you not replace a u-joint that has been in the car since it was built..... :popcorn:
The guy I was talking to at the shop asked if I could throw that driveshaft back in and bring the whole car down before he checks out that driveshaft! He just wanted to check pinion angle too I believe.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
go spend your money but I would change the u-joint to see if that was the cause. As for checking the pinion angle I didn't know you had upgraded the suspension and control arms

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you don't want to change the u-joint by yourself it saves you money to bring the driveshaft in to have them changed. If you do the u-joints by yourself make sure you mark the orientation of slip yoke and drive shaft so they go back together the same or you wuill have the driveshaft out of phase. If you do get it out of phase a balancing will cure that. If you do want to change the u-joints and are not sure how to do the job just ask...lots of guys will be glad to help

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor