UMI lowering springs; still suck? UMI or another brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Monte Carlo; I'm not amused with how it sits right now and hate the float.

I read a thread on here about how bad UMI lowering springs are. Is that still true/any recent good experiences with UMI lowering springs? Should I go BMR or Moog instead?
I bought the $299 kit, but am returning them tomorrow.
Have Bilstein performance shocks all around.
Iron Head 350, AC up front. So a little heavier in the front than stock.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Nevermind, Ramey from UMI PMed me and summarized where they are at. They make good stuff, but trial and error is sometimes needed. Some of you slapped 2" umi lowering springs are and it was perfect. I have an iron block v8 swapped in and AC so I'm helping that reduces my chances of the front "sitting high".

Here's what I have now stock that I'm trying to lower 2":

IMG_9151.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9157.jpg
    IMG_9157.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 109
Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I put 2" UMI springs on my 383 aluminum headed Monte Carlo SS and it was fine. I believe that kit came with UMI shocks as well. This car has the front and rear bracing.

by comparison, I put BMR 1.5" drop springs on my Regal with the Bilstein shocks in their kit and I don't like the ride as much. To be fair, I may have body mount and frame issues. This car doesn't have front and rear bracing yet.

Both cars still have the OG control arms.

Last edited:

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
My thoughts on any aftermarket one-size-fits-all spring:
  • Jun 26, 2019
  • Add bookmark
  • Have you seen this chart? http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm Notice there are at about seven different front springs for G-bodies, with only two spring rates. Apparently GM just changed free height to adjust for various weight/option/equipment combinations. Kinda like trimming aftermarket springs to adjust ride height:unsure:. As a side note, I liked the way my car's handling improved after changing springs(to 5660's), but the front springs had to much rebound for the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I was using. I added Ridetech single adjustable shocks recently and am very pleased with the improved control.

Reactions: 2 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
My thoughts on any aftermarket one-size-fits-all spring:
  • Jun 26, 2019
  • Add bookmark
  • Have you seen this chart? http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm Notice there are at about seven different front springs for G-bodies, with only two spring rates. Apparently GM just changed free height to adjust for various weight/option/equipment combinations. Kinda like trimming aftermarket springs to adjust ride height:unsure:. As a side note, I liked the way my car's handling improved after changing springs(to 5660's), but the front springs had to much rebound for the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I was using. I added Ridetech single adjustable shocks recently and am very pleased with the improved control.
I'd rather trim UMI if needed though just so I get the stiffer ride. I would rather it be a bit too harsh than have any float feeling; I hate float.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I used the BMR full kit on my LS swapped 79 Cutlass. 1.5" drop, front & rear sway bars, tubular arms and links, Bilstein shocks (not coilovers) no float, far less lean in the curves. Defintely stiffer than stock, but still comfortable highway cruising. See my build thread, Project Diesel No More for pics. I've received lots of compliments on the stance with the 17" wheels.

Reactions: 1 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Anybody happen to know if I'll need what are known as "drop spindles" for UMI 2" springs? I keep seeing mention of them but I thought these just swapped in for stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor