UMI lowering springs; still suck? UMI or another brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Anybody happen to know if I'll need what are known as "drop spindles" for UMI 2" springs? I keep seeing mention of them but I thought these just swapped in for stock.
Drop spindles relocate the "axle" centerline lower in reference to the upper and lower balljoints. If you install 2" lowering springs together with 2" drop spindles, you'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4" of drop. They can be used in conjunction with one another but it is not a must and usually its one or the other used.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
In case anybody finds this thread, UMI springs still suck.
To recap I have a heavier engine (v8 iron) than came stock on my 86 monte. It came with a v6.

I had the 2" UMI springs put in today; didn't lower the car at all.
UMI really needs to go back to the drawing board on those springs; I don't know what their sample gbody was but my heavier gbody should have went down at least a little. My old springs weren't that sagged/worn out.
Neither the back or front went down.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So your stock, worn out, 36 year old springs sit lower than brand new, stiffer, lowering springs. You obviously don't read ANYTHING online about this EXACT subject that THOUSANDS of people have had before you come on to bash a vendor. Sure, we'll listen to you. SMDH

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
So your stock, worn out, 36 year old springs sit lower than brand new, stiffer, lowering springs. You obviously don't read ANYTHING online about this EXACT subject that THOUSANDS of people have had before you come on to bash a vendor. Sure, we'll listen to you. SMDH
No. I just said my stock springs weren't that worn; they literally were about half inch lower than stock.
I checked them.

Maybe you should read before commenting. My stock springs stance was in the first post: it clearly hadn't sagged and lowered itself.

And I'm not the only thread on this forum much less the internet talking about this problem with UMI springs.

Do the math: stock springs weren't that worn, I have a heavier engine, UMI 2" lowering didn't lower it at all on back or front.

That's not how that's supposed to work.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i'd be interested to see what the tape measure says from the ground to the wheel well opening.it might be your tire size but your ride looks tall.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Your frame would have to be BELOW ground level to get those measurements. Now try in the centerline of the wheel, to the wheel lip, where the rest of the world measures their ride height

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm sorry I ment from the ground straight up to the wheel opening

Reactions: 1 user

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
13 behind back tire , 12 behind front tire.
And I retract my earlier statement: they went up in the back. So not only did it not lower it, it made it worse. Those things aren't going to settle 2.5 inches either.

I feel really bad for anyone who gets the 1" lowering version.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Got it. I did my before and after measurements here so I'll have to remeasure:

5A69FB75-3BA0-40AD-AC67-AA06C6A44426.jpeg

Attachments

• E8AEBBBE-A8AA-4DBE-8025-4E8B0F520E0A.jpeg
    E8AEBBBE-A8AA-4DBE-8025-4E8B0F520E0A.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor