UMI Springs rubbing UMI LCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
I installed UMI front control arms with their 2” lowering springs. I noticed after the instal that I would get a “clunk/twang” from the front end when going over bumps at any speed. When I dropped it off at the alignment shop I asked them to see if they could check for anything out of the ordinary and they sent me the pictures below.

It looks like the springs are rubbing on the spring pockets on the lower control arms. We verified the springs are clocked correctly in the LCAs and seated in the fingers in the spring pocket. I also verified all the part numbers in the kit prior to installing it.

I emailed UMI customer support and got the following response:
"This situation can happen If you don't have the spring centered in the spring pocket. Also if you're getting the noise when turning then that rules out the spring, I would apply some grease to the area of the spring where the rubbing is taking place and I would push the spring back in the pocket and also make sure the spring is seated correctly at the top around the fingers, The G-body spring is one of the hardest springs to install and install correctly, If you are trying to stop any kind of scratching of the painted coil spring I would install a spring isolator from summit which would protect the spring.from any scratching due to rubbing, This is why they never painted the factory springs or A-arms. You also could consider a Viking Hybrid Coilover Street Kit which would eliminate the factory style spring all together."

Has anyone run into this issue before? I'm going to climb under the car this weekend and double check that the springs are seated correctly and also see if there is any wiggle room in the LCA spring pocket, but when I did a dry fit there really wasn't much play there.

I was cursing myself for not going with coil-overs during the install, and I'm really kicking myself for not going with them now...

Attachments

• Driver 1.jpg
    Driver 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Driver 2.jpg
    Driver 2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Passenger 1.jpg
    Passenger 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Passenger 2.jpg
    Passenger 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that spring is close to the lwr pocket.almost looks over sized.w/everything installed correctly concider sending those pics to UMI and inquire about these "grease points" lye...

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
that spring is close to the lwr pocket.almost looks over sized.w/everything installed correctly concider sending those pics to UMI and inquire about these "grease points" lye...
I did send the pictures to UMI.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm running all umi and I'll get a noise when it returns to the ground if I let end hang for a bit.has that sprung sound you're describing.

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I just installed new UMI arms and re-installed Eibach springs in the last week or so on my 87'. I'm not close to getting it on the ground or driveable but will have to take a closer look. Upon installation/clocking of the spring it seemed to fit fine without any rubbing issues when jacking the lower arms up a bit.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Can the springs be rotated? How much clearance between the spring and pocket and is it uniform for the entire circumference?

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Can the springs be rotated? How much clearance between the spring and pocket and is it uniform for the entire circumference?
They cannot be rotated. I'm going to put a GoPro under the car and cycle the suspension to see what's going on. There might be a quarter inch clearance between the spring OD and the spring pocket ID. It's pretty tight.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the index in the umi lwr makes it land in the same place as the O.E stamped arm.it's a tight fit side to side on my set up as well.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They cannot be rotated. I'm going to put a GoPro under the car and cycle the suspension to see what's going on. There might be a quarter inch clearance between the spring OD and the spring pocket ID. It's pretty tight.
If your setup was mine, then I could see a 1/4 fender flap cut down to 1.5-2” wrapped around inner diameter of the lower a-arm …….. and forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor