umi upper control arm and front and rear swaybar

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvir

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2014
on my 1988 monte ss i have installed UMI part # 3035 front 1 1/4" sway bar, tighten up the front end a bunch. 3044-275 UMI rear sway, this bar attachs to the bottom of the axel tube of the rear end, works great and easy to set up. using the UMI upper control arm #3056, this has the adustable rod ends, nice setup. 5 degree +caster, 1 degree neg camber, when i go to the track i align it to 2 degrees neg camber just by adding a couple shims to each side, when i am back on the street just take the shims out and i am back at 1 degree neg camber, easy and simple. ramey at UMI helped me a bunch

i am using a 1990 camaro center link shortened up 1", this link drops my tie rods parallel to the ground, and cut the bump steer to almost nothing. my idler and pitman arm are at 6 degree angles out, this added a little negitive ackermann. at 10 degree wheel turn i am at 0 toe, not the 4 degree toe out on the normal parallel steer. running a 1/8 degree toe out this car loves to go into a turn.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That sounds good but I have my tie rods as close to being parallel to the lower control arm as I can to deal with bump steer. I'm not sure how you have changed the ackerman angle. To change the ackerman geometry you would need to change the angle of both steering arms that are on the spindles or have a variable rate steering rack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor