unbending bumper covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
So the previous owner had my car apart for about 17 years and the bumper covers and the front air dam sat in the corner of his garage and folded. I've had the covers zip tied on the car for about a month in the hopes they would return back to their normal shape but I still have spots that won't go back. I only have on spot in the front that won't sit right but the rear is wavy and looks like it got messed up in the center of it. My only idea of how to fix it is a heat gun but I don't want to mess it up. Anyone know of a good way to fix this?
20170309_162503-1.jpg
20170309_162509-1.jpg
20170309_162537-1.jpg
20170309_162550-1.jpg
20170309_162619-1.jpg
Screenshot_2017-03-09-20-27-00.png

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
I have had good luck with using a infrared heat lamp that is actually made to dry automotive primers and clears.I'll hang them on a parts stand and bend them slightly past where you want them to stay and repeatedly heat them and let them cool down and check the progress.Can't say I have ever done this with parts that were sitting for 17 years though.Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Geez, the PO needs a good ole smack for folding them up like that! The heat lamp trick might work....those things are getting harder and harder to find, especially in good condition! X2 on the luck!

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
He also needs to be smacked for leaving it in bare metal and with the windows down in his barn for the whole time. I am constantly questioning everything he did to the car. I'll give the heat lamp trick a try hopefully it'll work

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My brother and I had a similar issue with the front bumper cover on his 78 Z28. The bumper cover was distorted from being held in a bind by some collision damage to one of the front fenders and lower fender extension. We fixed it with a heat gun, but be careful! It almost got away from us. We ended up using a little flexible filler to perfect the repair but it turned out good. You really have to sneak up with the heat. The material will become elastic all of a sudden and if you put on too much heat past that, it will sag or distort.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Agree with Jared, be very careful an patient with the heat gun....L67 has a point with the sun, if you get a good hot day, it can definitely warm up to the point you may be able to reshape it and let it sit until it cools again.

I've pulled side moulding off cars sitting in the sun, way easier than using a heat gun.....the sun is........very hot:D

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've reshaped a few parts with a heat gun. I get it to shape and have someone mist it with cold water in a spray bottle while I hold it with a paint stick flat side. This process locks it in shape. Do not use your fingers or something like because it will leave the indent. So use something that will spread the flatness evenly

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor