Under car rattle when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
83 cutlass y code engine- first start cold has a pronounced tapping coming from under the car varies with engine speed - when warmed up- gone- seemed to have coincided with a recent starter r&r .shouldn't be, but?????
no hoist, so looking for ideas- any guesses?? Does it while stationary or driving - matches engine speed

Last edited:

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
Rattle, heat shield somewhere?
Not exhaust rattle , cat ok seems line it's coming from the rear of the motor- tapping sound not a rattle completely goes away when up to temp - thanks- keep them coming

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
is the cat still the original?...and do you still have the EFE valve?
Where is the efe valve physical;ly located? And would it cause a loud tapping sound when engine is cold? onnce up to temp 180 or so no noise- thanks

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Is it a rattle or a tap? My first interwebz guess would be exhaust leak.
I agree with your assessment!! Every 307 I have seen sooner or later acquires some sort of exhaust leak that sounds like a sharp tapping sound in the engine bay, and when the engine warms up,. everything expands and seals back up.

Reactions: 1 users

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
Could you please explain the operation of the efe valve- it's new to me. Noise came on suddenly- the joys of an old car. Been in the family since new now has 70k on it & it's a california car rust free, so worth maintaining. Thanks again- this forum is great, don't really want to pay someone to learn - most "techs" don't know a thing about anything this old

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Could you please explain the operation of the efe valve- it's new to me. Noise came on suddenly- the joys of an old car. Been in the family since new now has 70k on it & it's a california car rust free, so worth maintaining. Thanks again- this forum is great, don't really want to pay someone to learn - most "techs" don't know a thing about anything this old
The efe/heat riser valve ( Early Fuel Evaporation) is vacuum operated by a intake thermal/ vacuum switch. The theory behind this is the valve integrated into the passenger side, rear of the manifold, ahead of your exhaust, is when the engine is cold, ( the valve is shut) it forces exhaust gasses back into the engine to "warm it up quicker" when the engine warms up the thermal vacuum switch allows vacuum to pull the EFE open for normal operation...HOWEVER, after years of heat, they tend to fail, and can cause issues, stuck open, stuck shut, RATTLE....ill ad a picture so you know what to look for

1593204272200.png

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor