Under the hood wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrjkd

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2022
I tore this car apart 15 years ago and I don’t remember what the wires are for. Coming out of the wire block. I understand all the wires for the head lights,horn ext. it’s the ignition side I’m sort of lost. The two red wires I know go to a power source. I have a light brown 12 gage and a orange 12 gage what are they for? I have a brown 14 gage wire is that the one that goes to the starter to activate it? Two light green 14 gage coming out of one port. A dark green, light brown, dark brown, light blue 14gage I believe are for sensors . I bought a wire diagram but my wires are different must be pre 80. The car is a 80 Monte Carlo A981FA90-D480-400E-9DF2-73D5564960CB.jpeg B13F1E9A-05F0-4715-BA44-707CDB297C33.jpeg DE37EC7A-9138-4543-9BA3-5C21E55F15CF.jpeg

Starrjkd

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2022
Purple 12ga goes to the Starter. Green 14ga is the Horn. Red 12ga coming in from the Starter or the Battery to power stuff on the inside of the car.
I wiped the 12gage wire with grease and wax remover it sort of resembles purple. How about the light tan colored 12 gage air conditioner maybe?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I wiped the 12gage wire with grease and wax remover it sort of resembles purple. How about the light tan colored 12 gage air conditioner maybe?
Sure it's not pink or orange?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
All A/C wires come from the other side of the firewall.

Using GM circuit numbers on the ones I can see where they come from on the connector.
2 - to fuseable link and starter battery cable.
3 - To HEI 12+.
5 - To Starter Solenoid.
25 - To Field wire on alternator.

Others:

Dark green - Temperature switch/sending unit.
Tan - Oil Pressure switch/sending unit.
Dark green w/white stripe - Oil pressure switch.
Brown - Oil pressure switch for choke heater.

Optional
Light green and light blue - To TCC Vacuum switch
Light blue - To TCC Solenoid.

Brown or white - To tachometer filter.

Wiring 80 MC.png

Reactions: 1 user

Starrjkd

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2022
All A/C wires come from the other side of the firewall.

Using GM circuit numbers on the ones I can see where they come from on the connector.
2 - to fuseable link and starter battery cable.
3 - To HEI 12+.
5 - To Starter Solenoid.
25 - To Field wire on alternator.

Others:

Dark green - Temperature switch/sending unit.
Tan - Oil Pressure switch/sending unit.
Dark green w/white stripe - Oil pressure switch.
Brown - Oil pressure switch for choke heater.

Optional
Light green and light blue - To TCC Vacuum switch
Light blue - To TCC Solenoid.

Brown or white - To tachometer filter.

View attachment 215851
Thank you! I so appreciate your response.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I tore this car apart 15 years ago and I don’t remember what the wires are for. Coming out of the wire block.
I saved this diagram years ago, it will help you greatly.

FIRE WALL BULKHEAD.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have a suggestion. It looks like you have a bunch of cut wires.
Instead of splicing them, go to wirebarn.com and buy new GXL wire in the correct AWG and colors. You can get small coils. I think they sell 10' pieces. I did this to both of my cars. This way you have all new fresh wire. You can buy the Packard terminals that go on the ends of the wire into the bulkhead connector from texasindustrialelectric.com. Theyre not expensive. You'll need Packard 56 and 59 but I dont remember how many of each I used.
Just a thought.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor