Underbody cleaning/painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
My underbody is full of grease, but what would you guys recommend on to wipe down and remove?? Any cleaners? I'm trying to paint the body the same color as the car..

Thanks guys!

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I have used a can of engine degreaser a few times to remove undercarriage grime, dirt, etc. Some friends had used dawn dishwashing liquid mixed with water and sprayed underneath with pretty good results. Simple Green also worked for me.

Just be careful with any degreasing because it will leave residue on your cement.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Start off with a good degreaser like Jeff said by using Simple Green or Purple Power undiluted. Suit up, wear a mask and glasses, and use a good paint scraper and hammer down! It's messy as hell, no two ways about it!

It might take a couple rounds to get the grease removed, but once you get the majority off then you should be able to use a wire brush chucked into a drill.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I had good luck with mineral spirits when I cleaned the front section of my frame.

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
FYI, the metal has to be VERY clean before you try to put any type of paint on it. I would suggest you get some body shop grade wax and grease remover to use after you get everything pretty clean. When I did my frame rails I used a heavy duty wire cup wheel on a grinder and after it was bare metal I used cheap lacquer thinner to wipe off the residue. No matter how clean it looked I would still get oils off with thinner and a white rag. You need to clean it until theres nothing on the rag. If you dont, you'll get fisheyes in the paint and its going to look like crap.
Why dont you use a bedliner like U pol Raptor on the bottom ? It works really well.

• Agree

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
Thanks guys.. but wouldnt i with bed liner have to wipe it all down? But either way, im going to try all that, i have some purple power,so maybe i can start with that first..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor