442 Underhood Decals and Things.

Trader history for 69hurstolds (0)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, after thinking about it for a while, I figured I had a little time on my hands recently and I did a little side project for a member here, so I figured I might look into making some decent decals for G-body Olds and make them available.

So I wasn't sure what I needed to do because if I was going to do it, I'd need something that I could plug into and get the process a bit more automated. I ended up obtaining a small plotter/trimmer machine. I got for virtually free at a nearby neighbors garage sale. I had to fix it, there was a spring in it that broke, so I got a new little mini-spring and jiggered it up to fit and viola! It works. It's not very big, but it's big enough to make most of the decals I wanted to do. Kind of a PITA to set up right, but I think I got it.

The idea behind all of this is that 99% of the decals you can get from the various vendors out there are about 75-80% correct. Some more than others. The fonts are usually wrong, the stuff isn't the right size, or colors are just WAY off. I'm not going to pop off and claim my stuff is perfect, because it's not. But I can say it's a whole lot closer to what was on the car when new. Most of the stuff I'm doing, I'm doing for me. Because it fits MY cars. But while I now can make a slew of the same ones, why not make them available for others? Everything is laser printed on mylar decal material, which is extremely resistant to moisture, cold and heat (-20 through 300 deg F). Been very durable where I've used them. Peel and stick for most of them, except the HJ brake valve label.

Let's see what we got available so far:

85/86/87 442 Emission labels for the top of the fan shroud. I can make other ones for Y engines and 3.8L if you have a decent picture of one. $8.00 shipped to lower 48.
85 442 SBJ Emission Decal.jpg

86 442 HAJ Emission Decal.jpg

87 442 SAC Emission Decal.jpg

Brake master cylinder codes for Cutlass. KL is the norm for most. DK was used in 1985 for a period of time. They also used KL as my gray 85 build sheet shows it. Weird. Also the CD4 (pulse) wiper motor decal that goes on the cover. 84-88 G-body. An "RT" code Catalytic Converter decal that goes on the bottom of the converter on the outside shield with the holes. This may burn off over time as that cat gets hot AF. But, here it is anyway. Your choice, $2.00 each shipped.

And to top it off, a brake combination valve "HJ" code for the majority of 78-88 G-bodies. This one is not a decal. It goes on the front of the combination valve and held in place by the rubber cap. It's made of heavy, waterproof cardstock with a clear laminate on the front, very similar to the original. This one is $3.00 shipped. It takes a bit more time to do.
442 Brake Wiper and Cat Converter Decals.jpg

Here's a couple of pics to show where some of them go:
87 KL Master Cylinder.JPG

Wiper Motor CD4 Part Number Decal.JPG

Rebuilt KH combo valve HJ 1.JPG

Interestingly, if you had a G-body that got shipped via Canadian Transport, it likely will have, or had, this little maple leaf blue decal in the door jamb somewhere. Also, a late 86-90 VIN 9/Y distributor part number decal located on top of the distributor coil cover, 1103677. $2.00 each shipped.

1985 442 FCH Federal ECM coded label, comes in two parts. Originals were paper. Which dissolved when they got wet. One part went on the ECM itself, the other half was stuck on the evaporator housing. These suffered horrendously over the years. They're made out of mylar now, so it won't matter. $4.00 shipped.

442 ECM Distributor and Canada Shipping Decals.jpg

Location pics:
84 HO door jamb decal.jpg

Distributor Top Decal.JPG

85 442 Evap Housing with FCH Decal.jpg

I'm also working on some other junk.

In the works are decals for the 85 442 carburetor. Yes, Virginia, there are 3 different decals on an 85 442 carburetor assembly. I've only finished the one for the back so far.

Also, I'll be doing an "OR" coded gas tank code which is located on the filler neck. I got one of these from one of the vendors, I can't recall which one. But it was paper. WTF. And the font didn't look exactly right to me. So...

ENGINE decals located on the driver valve cover for 85 and 87 442.

85 and EARLY 86 442 (and 85/86 VIN Y) distributor part number decals. They're the same style as the currently available later 86-90 VIN 9/Y distributor part number decals. Just different part numbers.

84 and 85 Parker/ACDelco A/C hose assembly p/n sticker located on the "muffler" behind the compressor. These were date coded, so they'll have to be made to order perhaps.

1980 ONLY Trunk Jacking Instruction decal. 81-88 were the same, and 78-79 were slightly different. NONE of the decal places out there have one. NONE. They lump it in with the 79.

And.....probably some other crap I can't think of at the moment.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, yeah. Also have some VIN 9 air cleaner decals.

83 H/O (top), 84 H/O and 85 442 (same air cleaner- middle pic), and the 86/87 442 air cleaner decal (bottom). Sticks right on the front. $3.00 each shipped.

83-87 VIN 9 Air Cleaner Decals.jpg

87 Air Cleaner OG.JPG

And I can still do customized door jamb and SPID (84-88) decals specific to your car. $20 for the set shipped. Contact me for more info on this.

85 442 Door Jamb Decal Set Plus Spare.jpg

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
AWESOME!!

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Dude... Freakin Sweet!!!

-Gonz

Reactions: 69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks. If you have a specific need of a label, I may can help. No guarantees, but you never know.

They already have repros of the 198 Delco A/C compressors that looks pretty good for 84-86. I'm not going to bother with that one. I do have a 622 I'm working on for the 87-up.

Plus, once I get a suitable color match for the gold, I'll be able to make 442 number sets for 85-87. The ones out there now kinda suck. Plus, mine will be like the OEM ones where you just line up the pre-mask on top of the door stripe and align the respective curved edging to match the door curve. Same with the emblem cutout on the trunk/front bumper decal.

If you have another color in mind, I can do that too. Patterns are already designed.

And the 87 only front bumper decal will have two notches in it so you can choose to line it up where the factory decal actually was placed. GM fugged that up in my opinion.

Reactions: blk7gxn and Rktpwrd

OldsCutlass

Greasemonkey
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Oh, yeah. Also have some VIN 9 air cleaner decals.

83 H/O (top), 84 H/O and 85 442 (same air cleaner- middle pic), and the 86/87 442 air cleaner decal (bottom). Sticks right on the front. $3.00 each shipped.

View attachment 155342

View attachment 155343

And I can still do customized door jamb and SPID (84-88) decals specific to your car. $20 for the set shipped. Contact me for more info on this.

View attachment 155344
Id like the stickers that go on the drivers door for a 79 Cutlass. Can you do that one??