underhood insulation pad for cowl hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was wondering what some of you guys have done for sound deadening/ insulation under your cowl induction hoods...or have you even bothered with it?

For the guys that have installed an insulation/ sound deadening pad, did you cover the entire underside like it was done stock,(excluding the air intake portion) or applied it between the frame work?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Paul,
Are you not using anything right now? I recall there was a discussion about this a while back, but I guess nothing more materialized about it..

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good question, I have been curious about this also, but for my W-30 hood. I wonder if there is something from one of the sound deadening companies, but not that ugly silver color?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I think there was a guy who was making them out of closed cell foam. It looked like a nice product. The last I heard, the guy was battling cancer. I'm going to try to find the link again. Hopefully he's recovered and back in business.
Yeah, I also thought using the foil backed stuff under the hood would look cheesy.
It's not so much for sound deadening as it is for insulation, and to protect the paint.

Here's a link to the place I was talking about. No updates since last year. http://www.hoodliners.net/

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Damn!
I liked my ugly silver underhood stuff. It keeps the hood cooler, easy to keep clean and helps visibility in the engine compartment.
Ya hadda go tell me it's cheesy! Now I'm heartbroken!
IMG_1503.jpg

Bill

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
No offense, Bill. :lol:
Yours actually looks good. I think it looks better fitted between the ribs rather than covering the entire hood like the original fiberglass pad.
I'm sure it does help keep the hood cooler and works to deaden the sound...and like you said, it's easier to keep clean.

Thank you for posting a pic of your underhood insulation.
Again, I didn't mean any disrespect.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
No offense taken, Jack. It was all in fun.

A couple years ago, about a week before a judged show, I went looking at my local home center for something to replace my ugly, dirty and shredding stock pad, and decided to give this stuff a try. I made some templates, cut it to fit and attached it with silicone so it would be easily removed if necessary. I got so many positive comments at the show that I decided to leave it on permanently, or at least until I find something I like better. Total investment was under $20, including a tube of clear silicone.

Bill

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bill,
Is that the Reflectix insulation /thermal barrier?
I just want to say that it does not detract from the appearance of your fine looking car. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor