Universal Steel Fan Shroud Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Anybody familiar with these universal fan shrouds, and can answer how to install it to my radiator ?

Screenshot_20220304-133318_Chrome.jpg
20220304_133619.jpg

Looks like it zip-ties through the radiator fins. You also need a top plate to hold the radiator in. In our cars that was done by the fan shroud. You should be able to get one from dixierestorationdepot.com.

Those mounts will mess up your fins in time. Better to go to the junkyard and pull a used V8 shroud from a G body. Oh and replace that flex fan with at least a clutch fan. With a serpentine setup you should be able t use a reverse rotation nylon fan from a Chevy truck.

Those mounts will mess up your fins in time. Better to go to the junkyard and pull a used V8 shroud from a G body. Oh and replace that flex fan with at least a clutch fan. With a serpentine setup you should be able t use a reverse rotation nylon fan from a Chevy truck.
We already went over the fan thing with OP. His thread on it is what pushed me to replace my flex fan with a fix blade/clutch setup. It's surprising how loud that flex fan was.

Speaking of fan shrouds, does anyone know what size and type of hardware goes on the bottom of the shroud to hold it in place? Mine seems to have gone missing.

I saw that when looking for an aftermarket solution to having no fan shroud. Other than electric fans the aftermarket has nothing of value. I bought a shroud from a member here.

"Speaking of fan shrouds, does anyone know what size and type of hardware goes on the bottom of the shroud to hold it in place? Mine seems to have gone missing."

If I recall properly the were 10mm head M6 X1 less than 15mm long with a loose non removeable washer.

The best fan shroud for this application would be a Chevy Gbody 2 piece shroud that also holds the radiator in place.
That universal one is not only not deep enough it will only pull air through the area within the radius versus the whole radiator, it would be more fitting on an old street rod with the vertical style radiator.

Reactions: Tynan918
If you still have the original shroud set-up, you could take that one in the posted image & merge the two together (cut the new piece up & pop-rivet the curved section to the existing shroud).
Or, use some metal from a local hardware store & try to do the same thing.

Reactions: Tynan918
Just swapped from a clutch fan...

I have a G-Body fan shroud, but it's not enough protection if a blade fly's off, it's plastic...steel isn't bullet proof, but it's a better option than plastic...

If you still have the original shroud set-up, you could take that one in the posted image & merge the two together (cut the new piece up & pop-rivet the curved section to the existing shroud).
Or, use some metal from a local hardware store & try to do the same thing.
Yea I thought about that, but man, if I "F" it up, I'm F'd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor