Up grade compressor at stop bogging down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxrwild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2021
Need help from the A/C experts ! Replace old up set with this new set up, cools the cab down great, but 1985 305 with new Holley Carb really bogs down at stop lights. Stock alternator, could that be the problem???

Attachments

• 20210812_110442.jpg
    20210812_110442.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 113

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Does your carb still have a high idle solenoid on it, and comes on when the A/C is turned on?
Btw, where did you purchase your Sanden compressor upgrade kit?

Welcome aboard. Are you going to tell us what you're driving?

Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Need help from the A/C experts ! Replace old up set with this new set up, cools the cab down great, but 1985 305 with new Holley Carb really bogs down at stop lights. Stock alternator, could that be the problem???
If you have switched to the Holley, you may need an idle-up solenoid to give it a little more gas at idle with the A/C on. You can steal the old solenoid from the quadrajet if you still have it or you can order a new one specifically for the Holley on Summit or Jegs.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The original system had a fast idle solenoid, holley makes one for your carb or one could be fabricated from cheaper components.

Wire it to the green wire going to the compressor before any temperature or pressure switches.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I was running a Holley, I added a high idle solenoid. I overlooked that you swapped out your Q-jet to a Holley. Chances are that's what you'll need.

Reactions: 1 users

Jaxrwild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2021
When I was running a Holley, I added a high idle solenoid. I overlooked that you swapped out your Q-jet to a Holley. Chances are that's what you'll need.
If I use my foot at the light it doesn't seem to help

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Turn the idle speed screw on the throttle linkage up about 200 - 300 RPM and drive it with the A/C on. See what happens.

If it still has problems.

Air or water in the system. Both are harder to compress and take more power from the engine. How long did you pull vacuum on the system and at what temperature and what elevation?

Too much oil in the system, again takes more power to compress it.

Over charged, too much refrigerant. What are the gauge readings for the system? Low and Hi,

Did you replace the receiver dryer? What refrigerant? How many ounces? What oil? How many ounces? Was the system flushed before you refilled it?

Last edited:

Jaxrwild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2021
Turn the idle speed screw on the throttle linkage up about 200 - 300 RPM and drive it with the A/C on. See what happens.

If it still has problems.

Air or water in the system. Both are harder to compress and take more power from the engine. How long did you pull vacuum on the system and at what temperature and what elevation?

Too much oil in the system, again takes more power to compress it.

Over charged, too much refrigerant. What are the gauge readings for the system? Low and Hi,

Did you replace the receiver dryer? What refrigerant? How many ounces? What oil? How many ounces? Was the system flushed before you refilled it?
I had all done by a AC professional so I hope he knew what he was doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor