Upcoming Changes / Features to the Site FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Looks like the software that runs the board just got a huge version update, and with it are a lot of things that I think are pretty cool and that you guys probably will too.

When will we see changes here? Not sure yet. Have to make sure any addons that aren't being replaced by native functionality outright get updated or they might break, along with themes/styles etc. I will probably run with one of the other sites first, just to see how it all works. But you'll know when it happens.

These links are to the software site, so they are more aimed at admin types like me than end users, but I'll try to summarize if you don't feel like wading thru all that other stuff...

Forum/Thread types: You'll be able to classify forums/threads (probably at an admin level) as "questions" "suggestions" etc. so other users can upvote the correct answer or best suggestions to the top of the stack of replies. Scroll down a ways and they have screenshots of what it might look like: going to have to see the final product and figure out how to integrate this best.

User Banners (aka cover images) ... so your profile can look more like the other social networks you're on I guess. Looks like we are moving towards a more "social network" like ecosystem versus the "old school forum" thing. Gotta evolve and adapt to survive, man.

Activity Summary E-mails ... It looks like you'll have a lot finer control over the types of things you get sent to you via e-mail from the site. Have to see how this works with the Threadloom newsletter addon, or if they complement each other or not.

Progressive Web App ... I know that ones been talked about for a long long time with really no good way to do it that didn't require deep deep pockets. Bascially you'll be able to "install" the site as an app on your phone. Not sure exactly how this will play out, either, but I'm gonna try it out on whatever site I test with.

There's more, but not much interesting to end users, or stuff I probably won't have turned on any way. So stay tuned.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I use it to get ideas on what to have for breakfast.... :popcorn:
I don't go on FB much at all. But maybe I'll do a different twist to the pics of what people eat for breakfast. Post some afternoon pics of what breakfast looks like AFTER processing. Better hope I don't get hold of some bad jalapeños in my omelets. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't know what kind of reaction you were hoping for. Have the members been blowing up your inbox, begging for these changes (i.e.- social groups)? I get some are just a new SW version.

The little emoji/reaction things already kinda rank the post whether people like it or not. What could be so different about the other?

Most of the apps on my s10e suck bizallz. Why would I want another? The only good ones I have are 5 Guys Burgers, Jersey Mike's subs, Seek nature, Amazon, and Summit

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I don't know what kind of reaction you were hoping for. Have the members been blowing up your inbox, begging for these changes (i.e.- social groups)? I get some are just a new SW version.

The little emoji/reaction things already kinda rank the post whether people like it or not. What could be so different about the other?

Most of the apps on my s10e suck bizallz. Why would I want another? The only good ones I have are 5 Guys Burgers, Jersey Mike's subs, Seek nature, Amazon, and Summit

1) some people, yes, they have wanted ways to create sub-groups based on lots of different factors, have sections for their local car clubs, etc. I've tried it in the past but the solutions were clunky and hamfisted and it didn't work. As I stated before, nobody's forcing anyone to use the social groups. Ignore them at your leisure if you'd like.

2) Assuming you're talking about the "upvote" for questions/recommendations. If you clicked thru to the link I gave, they show pictures of what threads like this look like. The upvoted replies literally appear at the top, just below the original post. So if you get 50 answers to a question, but only one is right and everyone knows the right answer is on page 4, this puts the correct answer right up front.,... provided people vote it up. "OMG I have to wade through 15 pages of people complaining about facebook to get the good info..." well, here's the answer to that.

3) People literally have asked why can't we have an app on our phone for years now. Maybe its just a glorified bookmark vs. a full-blown app, but its still a separate thing. This also creates notifications, etc, IF YOU WANT IT, like a phone app would. We have tried tapatalk in the past, but I removed it bc it was taking things out of my control and people didn't like using that particular solution much. If it works I'm pulling tapatalk from all my sites asap.

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Here's a better link that explains the different types of threads that will be available, what they look like, how to use them, etc.

The new article type (which I didn't mention) looks like it might solve my G-Body Nation problem quite nicely. Here's the video that's in that post... informative, if aimed towards admin types...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor