Upgrades to windshield wiper motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
My 87 El Camino wipers are too slow and only has only two speeds...no variable or pulse or delay. Has anyone upgraded their windshield wiper system to have variable and faster speed capabilities? I am not only referring to swapping motors within the G Body family but would be interested in capabilities from other GM vehicles. I once read that a wiper motor from a 2000 Camaro would work but don't want to try going this route only to be disappointed.

I have seen lists of what wiper motor are best for these features, but many are out of production and hard to find. Because of these parts being out of production, getting the one with the exact features desired becomes even more difficult with each passing year. Actually, solving these needs for better features is not as simple as replacing the motor for the reasons mentioned.

Here is what I am hoping to get: a reference/part number to a more recent GM model replacement motor with faster speeds, variable and pulse speeds, etc. which someone has adapted to work in their G-body.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I have often wondered about this as well.
Detroit Speed make several models of their "Selecta-Speed" wiper kits,but,AFAIK,none of them will retrofit into a G Body.
I had emailed them back in 2012 and that was what they had told me at that time.
There is another company,New Port Engineering,that also manufacture wiper motors,and I had emailed them back in 2014,and they do not offer a G Body model either.
One from another model may be able to be modified to fit the G Body,but I would bet that it would be a fairly difficult mod.
If you can figure out how to make something else work,I for one would be very interested in seeing it.
Guy

• Agree

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
This isn't an answer but maybe / hopefully would spark an idea with someone more knowledgeable

Based upon a previous experience I looked at "Wiper Motors" on the RockAuto site for '86 (my year), '87, and '88 Cutlass Supremes (V8 engines for all years so hopefully I avoided the "new" Cutlass Supremes -- was that W-body? -- in '88). The Cardone part number was the same for '86 and '87 but different for '88, looking at the pictures it appears that externally 1 mounting point changed & something changed with the cylinder end ...

... as the multifunction stalk for intermittent wipers "worked the same" on my parents' '85 Cutlass Supreme, my long-gone '85 Cutlass Ciera, my long-gone '93 Bonneville, my not-so-long-gone '04 Envoy, and my '86 Cutlass Supreme, I doubt there was much/any change to the circuitry wiring so maybe the big difference between those motors is how they're attached to the car (?)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The motor, switch and wiring are married to each other. In order to change one, then you must change the other two.

changing the motor and switch is easy, changing the wiring requires some ingenuity and sourcing some electrical parts. I did this in an 80 Cutlass just to run an aftermarket switch , it involved zener diodes and some cursing moments lol. It worked in the end, but still slow operation as you describe.

I’m somewhat resigned to the wiper operation being 70’s and 80’s technology. At the end of the day, I need the wipers to clean the windshield. If they do, then I’ve won lol.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm also facing a conundrum with my current wiper situation. I had replaced my column with an '85+ Monte Carlo floor shift column. It has a pulse wiper stalk switch. I replaced the wiper motor with the later style in order to be compatible. Of course when i replaced my dash, it no longer had a dash mounted wiper switch. I never quite figured out why the wipers drag when I turn it on. It does seem to work in delay mode, but it's a question of not getting enough oomph to the motor.
There was a good discussion about wiper motors, etc, about a year ago. One our members used a wiper motor from a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. It did require a few mods like using the arm from an S-10 wiper motor and using an external washer pump, because the new type wiper motor no longer has the pump integral with the motor. I'm glad this topic has come up again, I'm ready to get this thing resolved once and for all. So, I'm receptive to any solutions that are offered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I'm glad to see the interest in this issue!

One or two have shared their experiences and insights which is what makes seeking solutions on these sites invaluable. Nailhead's statement that it isn't only "motor and switch but also electrical" made me think about physics as well. Today's cars have fast wiper speeds and longer arms with larger blades which all translates into more mass and momentum. When originally designed, these factors were likely taken into account. However, like all things being manufactured, cost was also a driver.

All that being said, I continue to hope there is a solution and, more importantly, an ingenious individual who has taken on and found what we seek!

Don't let my response end this thread!

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Hopefully one day the aftermarket will start making new ones for us.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I hope we can collectively come up with a solution. I pretty much wired it color for color and added a green lead where it was not included in the original wiring. Using the newer motor also required the use of pigtail plugs from a later harness in order to connect the newer type wiper motor.
I too think there's a little more to it electronically.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
GuysMonte et.all., I agree, BUT am not going to hold my breath!

FYI, I've posted a similar thread on the El Camino Central site seeking input.; however, much of the discussion focuses on the wiper delay capability, specifically use of a circuit board. Unfortunately, the circuit board is no longer produced/available. Following up on the circuit board thought, I searched ebay for replacement wiper delay boards and was surprised with a number of potential candidates in various price ranges--$15 to over $100+. Falling back on what 64nailhead emphasized regarding wiring, that matter needs to be further investigated.

Additionally, I've taken notice of the length of the "arm with a ball" attached to the motors and have noticed some shortening of the arm which I believe translates into faster wiper speeds at a given motor RPM. While a shorter ball arm would I believe derive faster cycles, the mounting of the motor would have to change or the primary wiper transmission arm would require shortening or both. Only thru trial and error and/or computer simulation could this be appropriately assessed.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Theoretically. if I can get the wiper motor to run like the one in my '95 Olds Ciera, I'd be a happy camper. The notion of going with a shorter arm coming off the motor sounds interesting, but again it would require extending the transmission arm for it to link up. You have very little movement of the motor mounting.

As for the pulse circuit boards, as far as I know, they're NLA, but if I recall correctly, someone was either reproducing them or repairing them.
Awhile back, I was able to pull one or two delay/pulse boards. One turned out bad, the other worked. I admit, they are getting hard to come by.
As far as getting the later replacement motor to run like one in a newer GM car, there's got to be a viable solution. After all, these parts have come from a similar vehicle...just a few years newer.

Jim (64nailhead) Could you elaborate on what mods you performed in order to get the wiper motor to function "normally"? You did mention something about zener diodes. Please explain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor